Thread poster: Pee Eff (X)

Pee Eff (X)
Germany
Local time: 16:03
English to German
+ ...
Jul 26, 2007

Hi all!

I am trying to achieve the following: I need to export TMs from Trados and process them in a different program. For that I export to Trados' txt format. Now I need to be able to assign each of the segments a unique ID, much like a sequential number. This means the first segment (the one that was the first sentence in the text) needs to be segment #1 and so on. I could find no option in Trados to add an ID field to the segments. Is anybody aware of such functionality?

I also tried to use the timestamp that every segment has for this purpose but to no avail. All the segments that were entered into the TM by one cleaning process will have the exact same timestamp, so this doesn't serve as a unique ID...

Oh, and I'm using Trados 2007 Freelance but the Professional/Business edition could be available if required.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Patrick

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 16:03
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
How I would do it... Jul 26, 2007

I would

i) convert the txt (or tmx) file into a two-column word file
ii) add a column up front with IDs (maybe jump into excel for this)

To get i) done, use PLusToyz - it is a word plug-in, with a dozen of VERY useful conversion functions. See my page (www.proz.com/profile/91005) for the URL

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Numbering segments in exported Trados TM

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search