https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/79873-copying_segments_from_one_tm_to_another.html

Copying segments from one TM to another
Thread poster: Maria Karra
Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:04
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2007

Hi, everyone.
I reinstalled Trados (6.5) on a new computer and now I'm trying to transfer my old TMs. I copied the 5 files for each TM from directory C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT of the old computer to the equivalent directory on the new one.
Everything was transferred fine: attributes, fields, etc.
I also exported my TMs to text files for backup. And I thought I was done!

Here's the interesting part (by "interesting" I really mean "embarrassing", where I
... See more
Hi, everyone.
I reinstalled Trados (6.5) on a new computer and now I'm trying to transfer my old TMs. I copied the 5 files for each TM from directory C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT of the old computer to the equivalent directory on the new one.
Everything was transferred fine: attributes, fields, etc.
I also exported my TMs to text files for backup. And I thought I was done!

Here's the interesting part (by "interesting" I really mean "embarrassing", where I messed up, and where your help is desperately needed):

I have a Spanish-English TM and an English-Greek TM, among others.
I opened the exported Sp-En TM and found out that I had some En-Gr segments in it! Unbelievable as it may sound, apparently I worked on an English-Greek translation while having the Spanish-English TM open. (Feel free to laugh.)

I thought this would be easy to fix: from the Sp-En text file (exported TM) I cut all En-Gr segments -starting from the first < TrU > tag in that section and ending at the < / TrU > tag- and pasted them into the English-Greek text file. Then I tried to reimport the two text files.

This doesn't seem to have worked: I opened Workbench and imported the new Sp-En text file (smaller than the old file by 781 segments), and the number of segments in the updated TM stayed the same. It seems that by importing I can only change or add segments; the existing En-Gr segments don't get deleted.
And when I open the En-Gr TM and import the En-Gr text file where I have pasted the 781 segments, it tells me that 781 segments are invalid. They aren't added.

(In the Sp-En TM I had added some attributes that do not exist in the En-Gr TM. Is it possible that the segments don't get added to the En-Gr TM because the attributes don't exist in its setup?)

Maria

[Edited at 2007-07-29 14:18]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:04
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use filtering by date Jul 29, 2007

Can you tell exactly when you entered wrong segments into your TM?
If yes, go ti file export and export all units created at this day (pick "Created on" from filters menu and delete the > sign in front of the date, enter the date when you entered wrong segments). So your export will only have the wrong segments (or at least mostly them, maybe some else from the same date).
Then go to TM Maintenance (menu File, Maintenance) and filter the resultsy by this date. So you can delete th
... See more
Can you tell exactly when you entered wrong segments into your TM?
If yes, go ti file export and export all units created at this day (pick "Created on" from filters menu and delete the > sign in front of the date, enter the date when you entered wrong segments). So your export will only have the wrong segments (or at least mostly them, maybe some else from the same date).
Then go to TM Maintenance (menu File, Maintenance) and filter the resultsy by this date. So you can delete the entries.
In order to import the export into your other TM you will need to open the txt-export in Notepad and replace the language codes for Spanish-English to English-Greek (sorry, I don't know the codes by heart, look in Trados help file).

This way you should both remove the entries from the wrong TM and import them into the right one.

Best
Jerzy
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 22:04
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Cleaning up TMs Jul 29, 2007

I believe everyone who works with any CAT tools needs to clean up their TMs from time to time. There are some tools for editing them in TMX format - both paid (Heartsome - my preference), and free (Olifant - not bad, some minor drawbacks) - perhaps some other people will recommend their own...

A harder way (which I do not actually recommend if you can avoid it) would be to export to txt and edit this txt file in any notepad-like editor.

HTH

Antonin

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:04
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Easy exchange of TM content Jul 29, 2007

Hi Maria:

Not that I am "the" expert in Trados, but... I remember the words of a very good Trados trainer.
The TM files are a set of 5 files... some of them contain PC-related information, indexation, etc. which makes it difficult to predict whatever will happen if you copy and paste the 5-strong set of files.
It's always recommendable to: export the TM to TXT format, and then use that TXT as imported file into a new TM.

Wish you good luck with your new PC!

Maria Karra
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Jul 29, 2007

That was fast! I will try Jerzy's method (filtering by date and deleting segments in Maintenance, and then importing only the 781 segments from a separate text file to the En-Gr TM).
If this doesn't work I'll create a new TM from scratch (defining new settings), and import the txt files, as Fabio says.
Antonín, thanks for letting me know of these two tools. I had never heard of them before. I'll look them up on the web to learn more about them. I agree, it's always a good idea t
... See more
That was fast! I will try Jerzy's method (filtering by date and deleting segments in Maintenance, and then importing only the 781 segments from a separate text file to the En-Gr TM).
If this doesn't work I'll create a new TM from scratch (defining new settings), and import the txt files, as Fabio says.
Antonín, thanks for letting me know of these two tools. I had never heard of them before. I'll look them up on the web to learn more about them. I agree, it's always a good idea to do some cleanup ; if I'd done this I would have realized much earlier that my Spanish TM included Greek segments, instead of finding out by accident, only because I happened to open the txt file which I created for backup.

Thank you again
Collapse

Maria Karra
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done Jul 29, 2007

The Spanish-English TM is now clean and the English-Greek TM is updated. I did what Jerzy suggested (thanks Jerzy for those very clear instructions!). There was no need to recreate my memories from scratch after all. And now that I feel more relaxed I'll look into those cleanup tools to avoid such problems in the future!
Thank you again for the invaluable help.

Maria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying segments from one TM to another

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »