https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/80026-format_painting%3A_splitting_fields.html

Format painting: splitting fields
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:50
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 31, 2007

How can I use format painting, if the same formatting has to be split in the target text? Every time I apply it to one part, it vanishes from the former part.
Also when the formatting starts at the end of segment A and continues in B, I cannot format the beginning of target segment A and the end of segment B, but only the one or the other.
I wonder who has invented this stupid funktion?

Regards
Heinrich

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:50
English to French
+ ...
Use the ALT key Jul 31, 2007

Hi Heinrich,

to format paint separate words, you have to press the ALT key while applying the format paint to them.
Regarding your second remark, I'm not sure why you cannot simply drag the mouse to keep applying it to the following segment. Maybe you should change your format painting options (in Tools/Options/Format paint dongle)? Whenever you are stuck with format painting, one way is to select the format paining mode (clicking on the icon) and click on the icon just beside
... See more
Hi Heinrich,

to format paint separate words, you have to press the ALT key while applying the format paint to them.
Regarding your second remark, I'm not sure why you cannot simply drag the mouse to keep applying it to the following segment. Maybe you should change your format painting options (in Tools/Options/Format paint dongle)? Whenever you are stuck with format painting, one way is to select the format paining mode (clicking on the icon) and click on the icon just beside it (next required format): thus the program selects the format in the source and all you have to do is select the word you want to apply the formatting to in the target. Hope it helps,

Annelise
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:50
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Anneliese! Jul 31, 2007

It helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Format painting: splitting fields

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »