Translating an .xls document
Thread poster: xxxrenate123
xxxrenate123
German to English
Aug 23, 2007

Hi,

I have another question since I'm starting up with Trados again, after a long absence. I've got an Excel file to translate with a few columns. What's the best way to do this? Use the T-windows feature for Excel? Or convert to a word doc? I don't have good documentation on T-windows and before I get into that part, I would like to know if that indeed is the preferred method.

Thank you for your help
Renate

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:11
English to German
+ ...
Which version? Aug 23, 2007

Hi Renate,
The answer is to use TagEditor - but this depends on the version you're using (hence the request on the new topic form to provide version numbers when posting... there's actually a reason for it).

Best regards,
Ralf

xxxrenate123
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Translating an .xls document Aug 23, 2007

Hallo Ralph,

Thank you for your response. Am using Trados 5.5, an old version I know. It works however and I'm just now starting back on translations and got a few commissions which is great.

Tag Editor - okay.. isn't that for websites? Can you fill me in a bit more if it's not too much trouble. Right now I'm just translating the xls file manually... because it's all technical computer jargon, line by line. I've got my Multi Term underneath just to search on a few expressions and it's actually going pretty good.

But still want to know how to use Trados with xls files more efficiently.

Vielen Dank
Renate

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Upgrade required Aug 23, 2007

Hi again,

Thank you for your response. Am using Trados 5.5, an old version I know. It works however and I'm just now starting back on translations and got a few commissions which is great.

IIRC TE 5.5 could not yet handle Excel or PowerPoint files.

Tag Editor - okay.. isn't that for websites?

It's for any type of tagged document - for the current version, that includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, various DTP formats and HTML/SGML/XML.

Right now I'm just translating the xls file manually... because it's all technical computer jargon, line by line. I've got my Multi Term underneath just to search on a few expressions and it's actually going pretty good.

But still want to know how to use Trados with xls files more efficiently.

TagEditor works pretty well, however, you would need to upgrade. T-Window for Excel was never particularly efficient IMO, but you could at least use T-Window for Clipboard.

HTH, Ralf

xxxrenate123
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Translating an .xls document Aug 23, 2007

Thanks for the response. My question still is: using Trados 5.5 - what is the best way to translate an Excel file. Did you say I should use Tag Editor for this task? Or is 5.5 Tag Editor NOT equipped to handle that task?

And don't use T-Windows correct?

Could you please elaborate a bit more... keeping it in the 5.5 environment please.

Thanks
Renate

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use T-Window for Excel Aug 23, 2007

However, this is way too limited, because it does not support everything you might find in Excel.
When you have cells with forced line breaks in them (ALT+ENTER in Excel) this will be damaged, when using T-Window.
It also works cell by cell, not sentence by sentence, which is also quite annoying.
But this is still better, than using T-Window for Clipboard, manual marking sentence by sentence and copying them into the clipboard to make accesible for Workbench.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like to make advertising for SDL Trados here, but the changes between 5.5 and the recent version are huge. An upgrade will pay for itself within one or two jobs.

Best regards
Jerzy

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TE 5.5 cannot handle Excel files, IIRC Aug 23, 2007

Hi again,

renate123 wrote:

Thanks for the response. My question still is: using Trados 5.5 - what is the best way to translate an Excel file.

Fully understood, the moment you specified the software version.

Did you say I should use Tag Editor for this task?

Yes in principle, however you would need to upgrade.

Or is 5.5 Tag Editor NOT equipped to handle that task?

As I said before:

IIRC TE 5.5 could not yet handle Excel or PowerPoint files.

I no longer remember the exact specifications of TE 5.x, but IIRC the capability of handling .xls and .ppt was introduced with 6.5.

And don't use T-Windows correct?

I suggested using T-Windows for Clipboard. T-Windows is not a single application, but a series of tools. Personally, I found T-Window for Excel virtually unusable.

Could you please elaborate a bit more... keeping it in the 5.5 environment please.

That would only be part of the answer - see above.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Upgrade, it's worth it! Aug 23, 2007

Hi all,

I just want to chime in with Ralf and Jerzy above.
Even if you don't have time to upgrade now, you should consider it for upcoming jobs, the new TagEditor is a huge improvement for all kinds of formats, even Word.

To solve it old-style, just copy/paste the excel sheet into Word as a table, and run it through Trados 5.5.
But this only works if the data is very basic. Fancy formatting, hyperlinks, embedded objects etc will cause problems.

Good luck!

/Jan

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:11
English to Indonesian
+ ...
t-window for excel is ok Aug 23, 2007

i remember using t-window for excel when translating an xls file before upgrading my trados. it should be ok. not as easy as using tag editor, though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating an .xls document

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search