Trados Context TM - Is it reliable?
Thread poster: KerryT
KerryT
Local time: 10:22
German to English
Aug 23, 2007

Does anyone have experience with the Trados Context system? It claims to be able to do away with checking 100% matches as everything is translated "in context".

Sounds almost too good to be true. Is it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:22
English to German
+ ...
'Reliability' is not the issue Aug 23, 2007

Hi KerryT,
KerryT wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the Trados Context system? It claims to be able to do away with checking 100% matches as everything is translated "in context".

Sounds almost too good to be true. Is it?

IMO reliability is not the issue - what ContextTM (previously known as "XTranslate") does is to compare tagged documents against a previous document version and the TM - the quality of results translation depends upon (i) the quality of the TM and (ii) the quality of the translation of the reference document. As far as I can tell, the process itself works fine.

HTH, Ralf

KerryT
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
"Reliability" Aug 23, 2007

Thanks Ralf. What I meant by "reliability" was whether the system really translate in "context". i.e. "Motor abbauen" on its own could be translated in various ways depending on whether it's a title or a command. Does Context work this out?

Peter

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In-context matches Aug 23, 2007

Hi again,
"Context" refers to not using a 100% match on its own, but in context, i.e. within a sequence of 100% matches compared against a reference document and the TM.

IOW "Motor abbauen" on its own would not be treated as a ContextTM match, whereas it could be part of an entire paragraph that wasn't changed from the previous version.

Best regards,
Ralf

KerryT
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Context Aug 23, 2007

Thanks Ralf. I think I understand how it works now.

Regards

Peter

xxxOlaf
English to German
It is reliable Aug 23, 2007

As far as I understand it, ContextTM's algorithm is similar to that of a program that compares two versions of a document (DIFF). In most cases all lines that are neither inserted nor deleted will become ContextTM matches.

ContextTM seems to first take all translations from the bilingual reference document and stores them in a special ContextTM TM. It then extracts all source segments from the new source and compares them to the stored source segments in the special ContextTM TM and tries to find the longest sequence of segments that are identical in the new source file and the TM.
All segments that meet the condition of the ContextTM algorithm will be considered ContextTM matches.

For example if the old bilingual doc contains 4 sentences

Sentence 1
Sentence 2
Sentence 3
Sentence 4

and the new document contains the same sentences in a slightly different order:

Sentence 1
Sentence 3
Sentence 4
Sentence 2

In this case sentences 1, 3 & 4 would usually become ContextTM matches, but Sentence 2 would be considered a 100% match because its position in the document has changed.

HTH,
Olaf

[Edited at 2007-08-23 15:53]

a little bit different Aug 28, 2007

I'm referring to Olaf's description.
From my experience it works not like Olaf describes.

If you have a sequence (in the reference translation)

Sentence 1
Sentence 2
Sentence 3
Sentence 4

and now

Sentence 1
Sentence 3
Sentence 4
Sentence 2

then nothing will be ContextTM matched (Xtranslated, Perfect Matched)

The Context TM technology "looks" on the first segment (Sentence 1), than checking what is before (in this case nothing) and what is behind (in this case: 3&4) this segment.
If the segment before and after (or the preceding/following 2 segments ) are exactly the same in the reference file - than this sentence will become a Context TM match.

And it is reliable - although it'll took a long time for bigger files (>> 1MB ttx size)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Context TM - Is it reliable?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search