Quick Entry in Word MT toolbar still not working
Thread poster: robroy
robroy
Local time: 00:37
German to English
Aug 23, 2007

I have just upgraded to the German version of Trados 2007, in the process deinstalling my (functioning!) version 7.5. I'm using Word 2003 and XP Home SP2.

Initially I could not choose a termbank, and instead got the error message "Connection error - 2147... (null)". I seem to have got round this by registering again with the Register function in "Start - Alle Programme - SDL International - Register SDL Trados 2007". It seems to be important here that no Trados program should be running when you do this.

Now I can open a termbank, but when I try to start the Qucik Entry function by clicking on the (new!) icon while a word is selected in Word, nothing happens. However, when I click on the icon again, I get the familiar message that the term is already in the termbase (but only the selected term, not a word pair!). At any rate, the familiar form, where you can enter not only terminology but a great deal of other information, does not appear.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

I must say, I regret having "upgraded", now the program is not working as it should, and I am seriously contemplating using a completely different program, for example Transit, even if this is to the chagrin of many of my customers.

Cheers

Hugh Cairns

Direct link Reply with quote

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
PS: Now I cannot open the Termbank at all Aug 23, 2007

Just as a PS to my last post, my Word has returned to its previous status, that is, I cannot choose a termbank in the Word icon bar at all, but only get "Connection error (- 2147467261):(null)". I noticed in another thread that several people also had this problem, and Mr Ghislandi from SDL promised to check this out, but so far no progress seems to have been made.

I use the Quick Entry function very often to add terminology to my MultiTerm termbank, but now it is not working at all, and it is very frustrating.

Any ideas as to how to get the Quick Entry function working again? Thanks!

Hugh Cairns

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
can you add in TWB? Aug 23, 2007

I dont use MultiTerm Bar - I use Ctrl+Shift (S, T and M) in Word. The two steps (does it work in TWB? do Accelerators word in Word?) Maybe a help to identify the culprit.

Regards

Vito

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just a stupid question... Aug 23, 2007

Did you activate the Quick entry form before attempting to enter anything from Word MT tool bar into your termbank?
You need to activate the Quick entry form only once, when you first time wish to add something. Then the Quick entry form appears every time when you click the corresponding symbol on MT toolbar.

Jerzy

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still no luck with MultiTerm icon bar in Word Aug 29, 2007

Hello Vito and Jerzy,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Vito - I don't know if I'm missing something here, but with the MutliTerm template activated, the shortcuts you suggest have no effect. As I say, I cannot open a termbase using the "Select Termbase" button, so I presume this is why nothing is happening.

Jerzy - thanks for your tip, I didn't know I had to activate the entry form first, but as mentioned above, I don't even get as far as that step, because I cannot select a termbase, so I cannot enter any terms.

Of course I can still work with Word and TW, and the terms in my MultiTerm databases are shown with the red brackets, but I would like to be able to use the Quick Entry function.
Whenever I try to open the TB I get the message "Connection error (- 2147467261) (null)". This has been dealt with in topic 71018, but no solution seems to have been found there either.

Anyway thank you again, perhaps we can still find a solution!

Regards

Hugh

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Possible solution - delete multiterm7dot.xml Sep 11, 2007

Hello Vito and Jerzy,

The solution seems to be to delete the file multiterm7dot.xml. However, this does not seem to be the ideal solution, because the file keeps recreating itself, so you have to delete it for each session. However, with this one caveat, it does seem to be working now.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions!

Hugh Cairns

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quick Entry in Word MT toolbar still not working

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search