I am totally confused about the difference between SDLX, SDL Trados 2007, Trados Workbench
Thread poster: Mohammad Khan

Mohammad Khan
Afghanistan
Local time: 23:20
English to Dari
+ ...
Aug 25, 2007

Hi,

I have recently installed SDLX Freelance 2007. I am totally confused about the difference between SDLX, SDL Trados 2007, Trados Workbench.

Can anyone tell the difference between them in a simple way.

Best regards,

Mohammad

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-28 03:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 19:50
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
its just the first try to answer.... Aug 25, 2007

Can anyone tell the difference between them in a simple way

i) both SDL and TRADOS are trademarks / names of products in the CAT market

ii) both SDL and TRADOS used to be companies, developing/ selling/ supporting software bearing the same name. until

iii) .... SDL decided to buy TRADOS (its products, liabilities, office furniture....) sometime in 2005 (or was it 2006?)

iv) would ii) not have happened, you would have the alternative of buying either SDL 2007 or TRADOS 2007. However, because of iii) you get both SDL and TRADOS delivered as SDL TRADOS 2007. The way I see it, you get two solutions paid for and delivered, to solve one and the same problem. Imagine Microsoft starting to deliver OpenOffice together with Office 2007.

V) What is TRADOS workbench? Its a program you need to run/have running, if you want to use TRADOS software, either in Microsoft Word or in TagEditor (a program to help translate material in a lot of different formats, without losing any of the functionality Translators Workbench has available).

Salaam

Vito

[Edited at 2007-08-25 23:35]

Mohammad Khan
Afghanistan
Local time: 23:20
English to Dari
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 26, 2007

I got what you said. I think I have to do some reading.

Walikumuslam,

Mohammad

Denis HAY  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:50
English to French
In a few words... Aug 26, 2007

Mohammad Khan wrote:

Hi,

I have recently installed SDLX Freelance 2007. I am totally confused about the difference between SDLX, SDL Trados 2007, Trados Workbench.

Can anyone tell the difference between them in a simple way.

Best regards,

Mohammad

SDLX is a TM tool, sold by SDL (company)

SDL Trados 2007 is another TM tool package containing SDL Trados Translator's Workbench (the TM engine), TagEditor, Multiterm, Winalign, SDLX and a few other utilities.

Previous versions of Trados were sold by Trados Inc. before it was acquired by SDL.

Trados was only a software editor specialized in TM tools, SDL is one of those giants covering not only translation business, but a few others (translation services, publishing and software editing being only a few of its core activities).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am totally confused about the difference between SDLX, SDL Trados 2007, Trados Workbench

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search