https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/82235-how_to_delete_conflicting_adobe_acrobat_menu_in_trados.html

How to delete conflicting Adobe Acrobat menu in Trados
Thread poster: Tommy Guignard (X)
Tommy Guignard (X)
Tommy Guignard (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:07
English to French
+ ...
Aug 27, 2007

Hi to all,

This has probably been already discussed in past topics and I am really sorry if I'm bringing this issue on the table again. So I had the very bad idea to try the professional version of Adobe Acrobat as I needed it for a job I had to do. What I did not know then is that downloading the professional version brings two new menus in Word just after the "?" about PDF conversions and comments. When I tried to generate the Trados toolbar (I have 2006 version and I'm trying to
... See more
Hi to all,

This has probably been already discussed in past topics and I am really sorry if I'm bringing this issue on the table again. So I had the very bad idea to try the professional version of Adobe Acrobat as I needed it for a job I had to do. What I did not know then is that downloading the professional version brings two new menus in Word just after the "?" about PDF conversions and comments. When I tried to generate the Trados toolbar (I have 2006 version and I'm trying to install the 2007 one), Word crashes, especially when I close it. I remembered I was told once the Adobe menus and Trados toolbar were not compatible. I'm wondering how I can erase those menus or, if it is impossible, how I can make them disappear (I know it's possible by turning off some macros, but I don't know where it is...). I now deleted the professional version of Adobe, but thos two menus just won't go away... I'd be grateful if you guys could help me out with that! Thank you very much in advance!

Tommy
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:07
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do this via Software Aug 27, 2007

Go to Control Panel, chose Software, select Adobe Acrobat and click on Modify.
When you get there, you'll find an item called "PDF Maker" (or quite similar) - then deselect it from Office. This will deinstall your PDF tool bar from Word.
I'm afraid this quite complicated procedure is the only one available.
And indeed, the PDF toolbar used to interfere with Trados.

HTH
Jerzy

Andrej
Andrej  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:07
Member (2005)
German to Russian
+ ...
Delete the template Aug 28, 2007

Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Startup and delete the template PDFMaker.dot. That's all.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
PDFMaker.dot only in earlier versions of Acrobat Aug 28, 2007

In Acrobat 7 Pro (the version I have here) there was no PDFMaker anymore... But I'm using Office 2003 - so this may also have an influence.

Jerzy

Tommy Guignard (X)
Tommy Guignard (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:07
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All fixed now! Aug 28, 2007

Thank you for your replies, guys. My roommate finally helped me getting rid of those menus, it was much harder than I previously thought. Everything works now and I was even able to install SDL Trados 2007. Thank you!

marie-christine périé
marie-christine périé  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I tried everything May 7, 2009

I found here and in other ProZ threads and nothing works! I don't use Adobe Acrobat that much, so I went as far deleting it, but even though, the conflicting Adobe toolbar is still there in Word and hides the Trados dropdown menu.
I can still see the Flagman and Trados toolbar.
I use Word 2003 and Trados 7.5.
Can anybody help please?
Thank you ever so much in advance!

Marie-Christine

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support... May 7, 2009

Hello Marie-Christine,

We have an article within the SDL knowledge base which should fix this issue. Please read the following article and follow the instructions provided:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2276&p=1

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2009-05-
... See more
Hello Marie-Christine,

We have an article within the SDL knowledge base which should fix this issue. Please read the following article and follow the instructions provided:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2276&p=1

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2009-05-07 10:45 GMT]
Collapse

marie-christine périé
France
English to French
+ ...
It didn't work May 7, 2009

Hello Gareth,

Thank you for your support. I did this, but it didn't work. I still see "Adobe PDF" and "Acrobat Comments" instead of my usual "Trados" dropdown menu. I am really at a loss now!

Something strange: I have had Acrobat for quite some time and everything was OK. The problem appeared this morning only.

Of course I know I can work in TagEditor, but I strongly prefer working in Word. Would you have another idea?

Marie-Christine

marie-christine périé
France
English to French
+ ...
my solution May 11, 2009

First, thanks to Gareth who followed this up directly with me.

And in case it might help others, in the end and after much aggro, I solved the problem by desinstalling/reinstalling Word, which appeared to have gone corrupt somehow.

Marie-Christine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to delete conflicting Adobe Acrobat menu in Trados

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »