Maria Eugenia Roca Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:16
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 27, 2007

Hello!

I have a problem with Multiterm. I hope somebody can help me solve this.

As usual, I created a glossary in Excel, I converted it to .xml file with Multiterm Convert. So far, everything is fine. Then I create the Termbase in Multiterm. But when I attempt to import the .xml file into the termbase it shows an error at 95% of the process. The error is:

Runtime Error!
Program C:\Archivos de programa\TRADOS\MultiTerm\MultiTerm.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I always use Multiterm and this never happened before. I created a termbase a couple of days ago and everything was fine. But since yesterday this problem occurs. I tried to do it in two different computers. I even reinstalled Multiterm but nothing seems to work. Oh! I work with Multiterm 7.

Thanks for your help!

Eugenia

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:16
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Aug 27, 2007

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDLX and/or Trados.

Please note the information given when posting a new topic in this forum:

There is a dedicated support forum for each of the main CAT tools
Use the relevant forum if applicable:

SDL Trados Support
Déjà Vu Support
Wordfast Support
Transit Support
CATALYST Support

Thanks for bearing this in mind in the future.

Best regards,
Ralf

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
.xdt Aug 27, 2007

As usual, I created a glossary in Excel, I converted it to .xml file with Multiterm Convert. So far, everything is fine. Then I create the Termbase in Multiterm.

Use the .xdt (termbase definition) generated by MTConvert to create your new terrmbase. You'll find it lying around right next to the .xml MTConv provided. Don't change a thing about it.

stefan

Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It didn't work Aug 27, 2007

Dear Saitch,

Thanks for your reply. I've just done that but it didn't work either.

All the best
Eugenia

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
95% .... Aug 27, 2007

strikes a familiar note with me ... I think it defines the moment, when all new records have been read through and MultiTerm starts on the final leg (creating tables, reorganizing ... I dont know / remember).

check the first line in XLS - I screwed up few times, by using (for instance) SL and EN; instead Slovenian and English, as the first batch, used to create the data base, was saying.

Also, could be something as stupid as read-only tag on the database.

What does exclusion file say (xcl)?

Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same problem again Aug 27, 2007

Dear Vito,

Thanks for helping me.

Yes, the problem is at 95% when the software reorganises the entries. I've checked the headings in the file, and they are correct: English and Spanish.

I have never created the exclusion file before, I always check the apply fast option. So now I created it. It's a strange file and I don't know which software reads those files, so I opened it in Note pad and this is what it says:

But I don't know if that means anything to you...

All the best
Eugenia

Ulrich Roos
German
Building the fuzzy index fails or import file corrupt Aug 27, 2007

Hello Eugenia,

I don't have a solution to your problem but some questions that might help to find out the cause for the crash.

If an import has progressed to 95% this usually means that MultiTerm has finished reading the entries and is building the fuzzy index for the fuzzy search.

The reasons why builiding the fuzzy index failed can be manifold. Here are some things you can check:

- Do you have special characters like mathematical symbols in your language fields?

- Do you have many homographs?

- Do you have line breaks or paragraph breaks in the Excel file? They may be caused by long terms.

- Do you have characters like "&", "<", ">" or "/" in your terminology? They have a special meaning in XML and if MultiTerm doesn't code them correctly this may cause trouble.

One last idea: it may be that the end of your input file is corrupted for some reason. Please open the file in Word (deping on the file size this may take a while) and check if the last three tags as shown below are present:

</languageGrp>
</conceptGrp>
</mtf>

I hope this helps to find the source of your problem.

Best regards,
Ulrich

[Bearbeitet am 2007-08-27 15:05]

Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
answer to your questions Aug 27, 2007

Dear Ulrich,

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Yes, I have those characters. At leas I have "/". What should I do? Change them to another symbol? Which one does not cause trouble?

And those last three tags are in the files.

Thanks

Eugenia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Multiterm when importing .xml file

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search