Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:31
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 30, 2007

Hi,

I am working on a regular translation job which was supposed to be concluded with the usual happing ending of "clean-up". However, I was just contacted by my client who asked me to "check the 100% matches for context, punctuation and spelling ONLY. Please only make changes to the text which is a 100% match if you consider it to be absolutely necessary. "

To be honest, I have question marks hanging over my head here! What exactly am I supposed to do?

... See more
Hi,

I am working on a regular translation job which was supposed to be concluded with the usual happing ending of "clean-up". However, I was just contacted by my client who asked me to "check the 100% matches for context, punctuation and spelling ONLY. Please only make changes to the text which is a 100% match if you consider it to be absolutely necessary. "

To be honest, I have question marks hanging over my head here! What exactly am I supposed to do?

TIA
Noha
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
This seems to be proofreading Aug 30, 2007

You better make sure that you get paid according to the time spent for this, depending of course, how much these 100% matches constitute of the whole job.
You have to read the whole text and make sure that all is consistent with your translation. But it sounds strange, that you should change anything only if dead sure. That makes the job more difficult.
Negotiate with the customer!
Cheers
Heinrich

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Don't make unnecessary changes Aug 30, 2007

Hello,

you don't should change existing translations only for stylistic reasons. Don't use synonym terminology.

Your client is satisfied with the existing translations but he know that there are of course small errors in existing translations. Of course these errors should be corrected but other changes in existing translations are to avoid.

Greetings

Hans

Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guys, please tell me what to do in points Aug 30, 2007

Thanks Heinrich and Hans for your feedback. Heinrich is right. This is a proofreading job. and I am not worried how long this is going to take since I am paid on an hourly basis. Also, Hans is right. The existing translation is ok but they want to avoid glaring mistakes.

But guys, I am still clueless here. Please, tell me what to do in points or in steps. Like what to open first, next what to do, etc.

Also, is this in any way related to the Xtranslate feature because
... See more
Thanks Heinrich and Hans for your feedback. Heinrich is right. This is a proofreading job. and I am not worried how long this is going to take since I am paid on an hourly basis. Also, Hans is right. The existing translation is ok but they want to avoid glaring mistakes.

But guys, I am still clueless here. Please, tell me what to do in points or in steps. Like what to open first, next what to do, etc.

Also, is this in any way related to the Xtranslate feature because I have not used it before. Thanks a zillion for your help. It is much appreciated.

Best,
Noha
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Checking the 100% matches for context, punctuation and spelling

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »