Thread poster: William Pairman

William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:40
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Sep 6, 2007

Trying to open a seemingly standard excel file in TE, I get

80005 Exception HRESULT: 0X800300FB (STG_E_INVALIDHEADER)

Anyone know a way round this or had similar? There are quite a few 80005 type queries but none that cover this

Trados 7.5
Excel 2000
Windows XP

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:40
English to Russian
Try Tools\Translate Sep 6, 2007

William Pairman wrote:

Trying to open a seemingly standard excel file in TE, I get

80005 Exception HRESULT: 0X800300FB (STG_E_INVALIDHEADER)

Hi William,

Try Tools/Translate function from the TWB menu before opening an .xls file in TE. After that a .ttx file is created in the same folder with which you work and which you clean up when finished.
Don't forget to back up the .xls file before translating it with the TWB in a different folder.
That's how I usually do it.

I hope it will solve your problem

William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
No good Sep 6, 2007

Alexey Ivanov wrote:
try Tools/Translate function from the TWB menu before opening an .xls file in TE.

Thanks Alexey, but the same message appears, this time at the bottom of the Translate box

JennyItaly
Italian to English
Maybe ... Sep 6, 2007

Someone had a similar problem in our office ... but it wasn't Trados/tageditor the problem .... but Office.
It was solved with the link below

see this microsoft link

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;304493&x=10&y=11

Just a suggestion ...

Hope it is useful

Jen

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:40
English to Russian
Try another file Sep 6, 2007

Then, probably your seemingly straightforward .xls file is indeed only seemingly straightforward. It might have diagrammes and images inside its cells or linked to them. Try another really straightforward file with one or two rows. If the same story happens then something is wrong with the TM or the file settings. And the last thing before giving up is:
1. Create a new TM , say "A", carefully checking the language settings including the source and target lalnguages and the default fonts.
2. Use Tools/Translate function with an empty newly created TM "A" to pretranslate the test file.
3. Open the translation and check for errror messages.
4. If none is generated, try pretranslating the "seemingly straightforward file".
5. If everything is OK, then import the data from the memory you intended to use "B"into the newly created TM "A" and proceed with translation.
I just tried that sequence and it works (as usual).
Alternatively, send me the file and I will test it for you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

80005 Exception HRESULT - cant open an excel file in Tag Editor

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search