Thread poster: Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:02
German to Italian
+ ...
Sep 10, 2007

I am trying to align a technical manual made of 8 chapters i.e. 8 Word documents (Word 2003/Win XP). The first two were ok, when I launched aligning of the third one, the error message appeared (70152). All other files do the same. There is no way to align.

I do not know what is wrong with the files, but I absolutely need to align them because I have to translate an updated manual and it's really only a couple of paragraphs amidst thousands of 100% matches. Checking it manually woul
... See more
I am trying to align a technical manual made of 8 chapters i.e. 8 Word documents (Word 2003/Win XP). The first two were ok, when I launched aligning of the third one, the error message appeared (70152). All other files do the same. There is no way to align.

I do not know what is wrong with the files, but I absolutely need to align them because I have to translate an updated manual and it's really only a couple of paragraphs amidst thousands of 100% matches. Checking it manually would take ages. What can I do?

The Word documents open normally and there is nothing unusual. Some problems with popups related to the normal.dot appear, but this happens sometimes and it never caused any problems.

Any suggestions (desperate)?!

[Modificato alle 2007-09-10 15:41]
Collapse

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let's try... Sep 10, 2007

I'm just guessing, but it might work:

- Option 1:

Save the Word files as .RTF and try aligning the .RTF files. (This might work because WinAlign turns .DOC files into .RTF files before doing an alignment, and sometimes this goes wrong, don't ask me why).

- Option 2:

If the layout of the documents is not very important, in Word, try saving the files as plain text (.TXT), then open the TXT files, save them again as .DOC (or .RTF) and try aligning
... See more
I'm just guessing, but it might work:

- Option 1:

Save the Word files as .RTF and try aligning the .RTF files. (This might work because WinAlign turns .DOC files into .RTF files before doing an alignment, and sometimes this goes wrong, don't ask me why).

- Option 2:

If the layout of the documents is not very important, in Word, try saving the files as plain text (.TXT), then open the TXT files, save them again as .DOC (or .RTF) and try aligning the .DOC or .RTF files.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if any of these turnarounds work.
Collapse

MouseManoeuvres
MouseManoeuvres
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:02
German to English
+ ...
2 more tips Sep 11, 2007

Hi Nicole,

if this error message comes up I have two more things I try if Jerónimo's first option doesn't work (because losing all the formatting by saving a txt file can be a real pain).

1) Go to Track Changes and accept all changes in document (even if you cannot see any) and then save as an RTF file. This nearly every time solved the problem even though I don't know why.

2) save as a ttx file in TagEditor and align the ttx files. The alignment is usuall
... See more
Hi Nicole,

if this error message comes up I have two more things I try if Jerónimo's first option doesn't work (because losing all the formatting by saving a txt file can be a real pain).

1) Go to Track Changes and accept all changes in document (even if you cannot see any) and then save as an RTF file. This nearly every time solved the problem even though I don't know why.

2) save as a ttx file in TagEditor and align the ttx files. The alignment is usually much better than saving as txt and saving back to Word.

Best regards,
Franziska
Collapse

DocteurPC
DocteurPC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:02
English to French
+ ...
WinAlign error 70152 Oct 22, 2009

I know this is old thread, but I just found the answer for one of my students. She had an opened Word file with trace on. She closed the Word file and bingo! WinAlign worked!
It may help someone else. FYI this is for version 2007 of WinAlign (SDL Trados)

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:02
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Jeronimo's 1st solution worked... Jan 9, 2011

I'd just like to inform future sufferers from this problem that saving both files as RTFs before aligning them works.
At least it did for me with heavily formatted files, 9500 words long.

Thanks, Jeronimo!

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Thank you, Jerónimo! Mar 15, 2011

Your solution no. 1 worked for me yesterday. Thanks for your contribution!

Maciek

fabiana marbian
fabiana marbian  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:02
Member (2009)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Jerónimo! Jun 23, 2011

Your solution still works
mil gracias : )

AllisonK (X)
AllisonK (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Option no. 2! Jul 21, 2011

This is the option that worked for me, but my files were complicated, and had undergone a lot of conversion beforehand (van PDF to Word, then from compatibility mode to Word...and so on - a real mess in other words).
Thanks Jeronimo!!!

Martina Kunst
Martina Kunst  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...
Thanks Jeronimo! Mar 10, 2012

It worked perfectly

Nadia Peiro
Nadia Peiro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
problem solved Jul 3, 2012

Thank you Mouse Maneuvers your first solution work beautifully for me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Winalign 8.0.820: error 70152: The document file is corrupted

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »