What is an 'unclean' file in Trados?
Thread poster: Jekaterina Filipova

Jekaterina Filipova  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 19, 2007

Hi everybody!

I am a beginner in translation and this is my first time using Trados. I am requested to send an unclean Trados file. Does that mean, that document should be bilingual?

I use SDL Trados 2007. Source document is in Word and I work with Translator's Workbench.
After I translate the sentence, it is replaced with the result in target language. So the document seems to be monolingual after translation. Is this what is called "unclean file"?

Thanks in advance

Katja.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-09-19 08:30]

Direct link Reply with quote

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 01:55
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Unclean files Sep 19, 2007

Hi Jekaterina,

Basically all you have to do is deliver the file once you have finished translation. That will be unclean and bilingual. You don't need to do anything else.

If you want to see the source and target languages as you make your translation in Word, go to Tools -> Options and on the View tab select "Show hidden text".
You will then be able to see both the source and target languages.

Once you finish your translation, simply deliver the bilingual file. I'm guessing that the client wants to edit and create their own TM etc. and they can do this easily from the unclean file.
Hope that helps!
Owen

English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is nothing else to do? Sep 19, 2007

I mean, if I don't want to see both source and target texts, then I don't have to change anything and file is unclean anyway?

P.S.: Thanks

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't use Trados, but... Sep 19, 2007

Jekaterina Filipova wrote:
I mean, if I don't want to see both source and target texts, then I don't have to change anything and file is unclean anyway?

I don't use Trados, but as I understand it, if you haven't specifcally cleaned the document, it should be uncleaned. But to be safe, try this: open the document in MS Word and press Ctrl+comma a few times to see if you can see the source txt.

Here are some screenshots with uncleaned files (compare 4.6 and 4.7): http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/guide/introduction_to_wordfast

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:55
English to Polish
Bilingual Sep 19, 2007

"Unclean" = bilingual

English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 19, 2007

Thanks to everyone for response, you really helped me!

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 01:55
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Yes, Bilingual = Unclean Sep 20, 2007

Jekaterina Filipova wrote:

That's exactly right. I bilingual/unclean file is simply your finished translation. No need to do anything else!
All the best
Owen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is an 'unclean' file in Trados?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search