Introduction to the SDL Trados Support group
Thread poster: SDL Community

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:00
English
Sep 20, 2007

Dear Users,

Some time ago we started talking with Ralf Lemster and friends, and several of the SDL Trados employees who look through the user forums and agreed that it would be a really good thing if SDL Trados were more proactive in being involved at the user level with the ProZ SDL Trados Support technical forum.

The main reasons for doing this are to make sure we can keep in touch with issues the community are having, not just with how to use functionality because I think there are plenty of experienced users in this group who already provide a valuable service in this area, but to make sure that we can pick up on new requirements and new bugs that have not found their way to us through the conventional routes, support and ideas.sdltrados.com (a new site we have launched to provide the user community with a route to directly impact what we do), and help to make sure they are addressed.

Before doing this we set a few ground rules to ensure that our involvement would not misconstrued in any way. After a little discussion we agreed the following.

- This must not be used as a route to promote sales of SDL Trados products

- This cannot be an alternative to the provision and benefits a Support contract gives customers

- We will monitor the group once a day (weekdays)and post where it looks as though our contribution would be useful

To make this easier and to ensure consistency we have enlisted the help of our most experienced support engineers and they will share this opportunity to work with the community between them through a single login. We will only be interacting through the public interface so that everyone has the opportunity to share in the information we provide.

I hope you will all find this a positive step and we're looking forward to being able to help you get more out of the product in your daily working lives.

Regards, on behalf of the Support Group

Paul Filkin

Client Services Director
SDL Trados Technologies

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Welcome! Sep 20, 2007

Thanks, Paul and colleagues, and welcome to the forum.

Best regards,
Ralf

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados support group much welcomed Sep 20, 2007

Great, better late than never. A very welcome move, as far as I'm concerned. This does give me back some of the lost confidence in SDL. The latest Trados SP 1 is working like a charm too (fingers crossed), so you may not have lost me as a customer yet (though it was a close call).

Looking forward to pleasant collaboration.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Welcome and thank you for that move Sep 21, 2007

I am really convinced this will bring mutual benefit.

Best regards
Jerzy

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
Is SDL Support participating in the Support Group yet? Sep 30, 2007

Dear Paul

A little more than a week has passed without further contribution from SDL Support. Have there not been any issues worthy of comment? Is everyone ok over there?

A worried customer ;o)

SDL Support wrote:

- We will monitor the group once a day (weekdays)and post where it looks as though our contribution would be useful

Paul Filkin

Client Services Director
SDL Trados Technologies

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
Announced participation by SDL Trados Support not happening? Oct 10, 2007

How are we to understand this?

First a grand announcement about SDL Support participation and now, nearly three weeks later: nothing!? Trust-inspiring? Hardly.

I would like to retract my statement about Trados 2007 SP1 working like a charm. It doesn't (depends on what charms you're used to of course), especially not in conjunction with MultiTerm 2007.

Now I'm working with Trados 7.5 and MultiTerm iX on a Windows XP pc with MS Office 2003 again and things are relatively stable, but I would certainly not recommend upgrading to anyone. It can cause serious dataloss of TM's and Termbases, so beware!

If you do, make backups of your data, as Jerzy has nicely explained here:
http://www.proz.com/post/643213
Generally a good idea, anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Introduction to the SDL Trados Support group

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search