Thread poster: xxxStrastran
xxxStrastran
France
Local time: 17:37
French to English
+ ...
Sep 21, 2007

Dear all

I have completed a job for a customer who sent me their memory in tmx format, which I imported into a new TM.
This file is 35.5MB in size.

Upon completing the job I have exported the TM - after cleaning all the files - into a folder with the intention of sending it back to them. However, when I do this it finished immediately and the file produced is a mere 504Kb in size.

Is this normal? Surely the file should be 35.5MB plus whatever size my translations are? Is there something I'm not doing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Patrick

Edit: I am using Trados 7 and Office 2003 with Windows XP.

[Edited at 2007-09-21 11:17]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Query regarding exporting a tmx file Sep 21, 2007

A 504Kb TMX file will have, VERY roughly, around a thousand segments. (It could easily be 1,500 or just 500 - it obviously depends upon the length of the segments.) Presumably this file only contains the segments for the job you have just done. Does that sound feasible?

You can open a TMX file in an ordinary (Unicode-compatible) text editor. Look inside and search for random text that should be there from the job.

Marc

M. Isabel Ledesma  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:37
English to Spanish
txt file Sep 21, 2007

Hi!
Just to check that everything is OK, simply open a new empty TM, import that file (product of your export), and run it with a copy of the original files... If it works, it's ready to be delivered!

Regards,

Isabel

[Editado a las 2007-09-21 11:50]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
As Marc said, or it could be .... Sep 21, 2007

... that the client's TM has an awsome number of multiple segments and you imported them in a TM that does not allow multiple segments.

Very simple to check: when importing, you can see the number of segments read (gross) and added (net) to the TM. Do the same thing with the exported TM (by creating some dummy, empty TM).

Regards

Vito

xxxStrastran
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck yet Sep 21, 2007

Thanks guys.

I've opened the TM in Notepad and though it looked ok, but then after doing what Vito suggests - opening a new, dummy TM and importing it - it took 3 seconds to read and said that there were no Translation Units.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Check the language pair Sep 21, 2007

Patrick Stenson wrote:

Thanks guys.

I've opened the TM in Notepad and though it looked ok, but then after doing what Vito suggests - opening a new, dummy TM and importing it - it took 3 seconds to read and said that there were no Translation Units.

I mean, a EN > DE TM will not take EN > SE (or DE > EN for that matter afaik) TXT files.

[Edited at 2007-09-21 12:21]

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
swell Sep 21, 2007

Patrick Stenson wrote:
... who sent me their memory in tmx format, which I imported into a new TM.
This file is 35.5MB in size.

A TM will grow considerably in size when it's plugged in, i.e. opened in TWB. You may have had a look while the TM was opened; perhaps look again when it's closed.
To be sent a 35MB file over the mail seems torture. Did they really?
Still, the difference in size remains puzzling.
You're sure you didn't use a filter for the export?
"Anyway, those are buses," as the guy said.
Size, you know, doesn't always matter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Query regarding exporting a tmx file

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search