Thread poster: Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 21:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 23, 2007

My multiterm convert has stopped working after installing the service pack for Trados. I only doesn't convert excel / tab files anymore, the other options seem to work fine. Unfortunately these are the only two features I use. What I would like to know is:
- Does anyone have a solution?
- Who has installed the service pack but does NOT have this problem?
- Who has installed the service pack and also has this problem?

Thanks for your help.

(I have talke
... See more
My multiterm convert has stopped working after installing the service pack for Trados. I only doesn't convert excel / tab files anymore, the other options seem to work fine. Unfortunately these are the only two features I use. What I would like to know is:
- Does anyone have a solution?
- Who has installed the service pack but does NOT have this problem?
- Who has installed the service pack and also has this problem?

Thanks for your help.

(I have talked about this topic before in the main topic about the new service pack for Trados. But because not everyone will have read that topic and because I would really like to know what to do about it I post it again here)
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Problem existed, but solved Sep 23, 2007

Open the Registry (using the registry which editor comes with Windows).
Navigate to hotkey current machine and hotkey current user and open the key software in both (after each other of course). Rename the the kyes calles Trados to _Trados for example. Do not delete the keys!
Close the regedit application.
Go to SDL Trados program group, take the "Register Trados.exe" and let it run.
Open Windows Explorer, navigate to Multiterm installaitio folder and let the #_Sel
... See more
Navigate to hotkey current machine and hotkey current user and open the key software in both (after each other of course). Rename the the kyes calles Trados to _Trados for example. Do not delete the keys!
Open Windows Explorer, navigate to Multiterm installaitio folder and let the #_SelfRegister_Desktop.bat run.

After that your MT Convert should work again.
Please note, that all Workbench settings will be lost. In order to keep them press F8 when Workbench window is active and save the settings into a file. Afterwards press Shift+F8 and reload those settings, while Workbench window is active.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work here Sep 23, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Open Windows Explorer, navigate to Multiterm installaitio folder and let the #_SelfRegister_Desktop.bat run.

Please note, that all Workbench settings will be lost. In order to keep them press F8 when Workbench window is active and save the settings into a file. Afterwards press Shift+F8 and reload those settings, while Workbench window is active.

HTH
Jerzy

Thanks for the solution, but unfortunately it does not work on my computer. After trying it Trados doesn't want to load any memory anymore because I did not choose those languages when installing and multiterm convert still gives the same error.
So I got back to the old settings which fortunately still work. Any idea what went wrong?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No idea so far, sorry Sep 23, 2007

just a thought: what version of Multiterm do you use?

Jerzy

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2007 Sep 23, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

just a thought: what version of Multiterm do you use?

Jerzy

I use 2007, build 444.
I'm afraid I will have to download and reinstall it.
But did you have the same problem and for you it did work?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
My problem was slightly different Sep 23, 2007

as MT Convert stopped after the choice of conversion type, saying "Key already exists" (or something like that) and did not want to continue.
After what I described above I'm again able to convert Excel.

My MT is Build 444 too.

Best regards
Jerzy

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
Multiterm Convert XML files cause problems upon import in Multiterm 2007 Sep 24, 2007

Hi Wilmert

I have problems with converted Excel files, too, after installing the Trados 2007 Service Pack.
An XML file is succesfully made, but after importing it into MultiTerm (build 444) the entries cannot be used, the right, large pane shows an error message (invalid pointer).

Looks like we will have to wait for MultiTerm 2007 Service Pack 1.

Caroline Charlier
Caroline Charlier  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
Where can I find the SDL Trados program group, take the "Register Trados.exe" ? Oct 10, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

HTH
Jerzy

Hello Jerzy,

I've got the same problem. I could do what you say in the Regedit application, but where do I find the SDL Trados program group? so as to take the "Register Trados.exe" and let it run?

Thanks,
Caroline

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
Any news on the MultiTerm 2007 Convert problem? Oct 11, 2007

Hi

I have not yet found a solution for this problem. Convert creates an XML file, which looks good and can be opened, but upon import into Multiterm, there are 'irregularities' and 0 entries are imported.

Any news on this problem?

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
Solution for MultiTerm Convert issue found Oct 13, 2007

I found the solution in another forum, namely here:

[link had to be removed, because it mentioned a competitor's website]

In case you cannot access it:

To import the converted file (XML) you first have to create a new Termbase. In Step 1 of 5 you should choose the third radio button "Load an existing termbase definition file". That is an *.xdt file Multiterm Convert has made in conjunction with the *.xml file. After that things ran smoothly for me.
... See more
I found the solution in another forum, namely here:

[link had to be removed, because it mentioned a competitor's website]

In case you cannot access it:

To import the converted file (XML) you first have to create a new Termbase. In Step 1 of 5 you should choose the third radio button "Load an existing termbase definition file". That is an *.xdt file Multiterm Convert has made in conjunction with the *.xml file. After that things ran smoothly for me.

This seems to imply that you cannot import terms from an Excel file into an existing termbase. You'd have to make a new one, as just described, export it into another format and import it into the Termbase of choice. I'm not going to try that today, Trados and MultiTerm have cost me enough time and trouble as it is, but if anyone wants to try and let us know if that works, that would be great.

Hope this helps.

[Edited at 2007-10-14 02:10]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can import terms from Excel into an existing termbase Oct 14, 2007

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
Snip...
This seems to imply that you cannot import terms from an Excel file into an existing termbase. You'd have to make a new one, as just described, export it into another format and import it into the Termbase of choice. I'm not going to try that today, Trados and MultiTerm have cost me enough time and trouble as it is, but if anyone wants to try and let us know if that works, that would be great.
Snap...

... but you have to know the exact definition of this particular termbase. And I assume you should know the defintion, as you have created the termbase.
The import process is quite sensitive, so if your descriptive fields in Excel do not match the descirptive fields in Multiterm termbase exactly (case sensitive of course), you will not be able to import anything.

If you've forgotten that:
Go to termbase catalogue and check, how the fields are called. If this is not sufficient, save the termbase defintion into a file, open that file in an editor and check there.

Regards
Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Go to Start - All programs Oct 14, 2007

charlier_c wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

HTH
Jerzy

Hello Jerzy,

I've got the same problem. I could do what you say in the Regedit application, but where do I find the SDL Trados program group? so as to take the "Register Trados.exe" and let it run?

Thanks,
Caroline

... and navigate to SDL International program group.
To register Multiterm, go to HDD c: (in Windows Explorer for example), find the Multiterm installation folder (usually C:\Program files\SDL International\MultiTerm 2007) and let the "#_SelfRegister_Desktop.bat" run (double click on it).

Regards
Jerzy

Caroline Charlier
Caroline Charlier  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
Thanks! it works now Oct 18, 2007

It seems to work as well without your first step.
Just run #_SelfRegister_Desktop.bat.
But than again, perhaps we've got different configurations.

Thanks again!
Caro

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
Great Oct 31, 2007

Thanks Marinus,

I had the same problem and your explanation has helped me create a database in MultiTerm - I don't actually need to import it into an existing database, but if I need to attempt it in the future I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again for sharing that with us!

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Oct 31, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

To register Multiterm, go to HDD c: (in Windows Explorer for example), find the Multiterm installation folder (usually C:\Program files\SDL International\MultiTerm 2007) and let the "#_SelfRegister_Desktop.bat" run (double click on it).

Regards
Jerzy

I had given up on this problem, but decided to try this today and this simple solution did the trick for me. Thanks a lot!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados service pack > multiterm convert no longer working

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »