Stephanie Boyd
Stephanie Boyd  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:33
English to French
+ ...
Sep 28, 2007

Hi everybody,

I hope someone can help me...I just purchased Trados 2007 SP1 via ProZ and since then, I have been trying to contact SDL Technologies without any success. I have tried via email and voice messages without any reply from them ...I have 2 main concerns. I need training and (maybe...) certifications. I was thinking of doing it on-site but since I can not get any information re. price and availability, I looked into the online package they offer for $250. Has someone done
... See more
Hi everybody,

I hope someone can help me...I just purchased Trados 2007 SP1 via ProZ and since then, I have been trying to contact SDL Technologies without any success. I have tried via email and voice messages without any reply from them ...I have 2 main concerns. I need training and (maybe...) certifications. I was thinking of doing it on-site but since I can not get any information re. price and availability, I looked into the online package they offer for $250. Has someone done it? Is it worth it? Also, i downloaded the software and do not have any hard copy of it (CD). I might move soon and I was wondering how I can reinstall Trados on a new computer without the CD...
Any help with those matters will be greatly appreciated ..
thank you

Stephanie
Collapse

Giorgio Testa
Giorgio Testa
Local time: 09:33
English to Italian
+ ...
Stephanie on SDL TRADOS Sep 28, 2007

Hi Stephanie,

I'm not myself happy of what happens in today's practice, when the companies (e.g. SDL TRADOS) do not provide customers who have paid their software an official CD, through wich perform installation and to keep should your computer crash someday..

My suggestion to you is to make yourself a CD copy of the installation file you got from SDL TRADOS, just to be sure you will keep a hardcopy of it for any instance.

If you do not know how to do it,
... See more
Hi Stephanie,

I'm not myself happy of what happens in today's practice, when the companies (e.g. SDL TRADOS) do not provide customers who have paid their software an official CD, through wich perform installation and to keep should your computer crash someday..

My suggestion to you is to make yourself a CD copy of the installation file you got from SDL TRADOS, just to be sure you will keep a hardcopy of it for any instance.

If you do not know how to do it, ask a friend. If you have problems, I can offer to make the CD myself for you and send it to you by surface or air mail, off course at no charge.

In this case, just send me vie e-mail the installation file and your full name and address.

Good luck

Giorgio Testa
Freelance Translator - Italy
[email protected]
Collapse

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 09:33
English to French
CD not needed + another concern regarding certification Sep 28, 2007

Hi Stephanie,

A CD is not needed to reinstall the software. You just need the file(s) you downloaded. You can burn your own CD with the installer files, or store them anywhere else. You may even download them again (under some limitations, I think) from your SDL account: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/

Another concern, arguably not important for everyo
... See more
Hi Stephanie,

A CD is not needed to reinstall the software. You just need the file(s) you downloaded. You can burn your own CD with the installer files, or store them anywhere else. You may even download them again (under some limitations, I think) from your SDL account: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/

Another concern, arguably not important for everyone, is that the "Certification Program Terms and Conditions" (that you must accept before to take even the placement exam) state:
SDL may (..) make available to third parties (...) by publishing on a web site (...) information including, without limitation, Applicant's name, address, e-mail address and other contact information (...).

As far as I'm concerned, I don't want SDL to post my street address and telephone number on the web, so I am wondering what this refers to? I asked the question but received no answer so far.

Jacques
Collapse

Stephanie Boyd
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jacques... Sep 28, 2007

I did a test and downloaded it on my laptop...It worked ! Thanks for the tip..

Stephanie

Jacques Du Paquier wrote:

Hi Stephanie,

Another concern, arguably not important for everyone, is that the "Certification Program Terms and Conditions" (that you must accept before to take even the placement exam) state:
SDL may (..) make available to third parties (...) by publishing on a web site (...) information including, without limitation, Applicant's name, address, e-mail address and other contact information (...).

As far as I'm concerned, I don't want SDL to post my street address and telephone number on the web, so I am wondering what this refers to? I asked the question but received no answer so far.

Jacques

Stephanie Boyd
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Giorgio, Sep 28, 2007

Giorgio Testa wrote:

Hi Stephanie,

If you do not know how to do it, ask a friend. If you have problems, I can offer to make the CD myself for you and send it to you by surface or air mail, off course at no charge.

In this case, just send me vie e-mail the installation file and your full name and address.

Good luck

Giorgio Testa
[email protected]

Stephanie Boyd
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Giogio, Sep 28, 2007

Thank you so much for offering to help...I think a hard copy would be a good idea. Let me see if I can figure it out otherwise, i will take on your offer (for a fee of course..)
I'll be in touch soon.

Stephanie

Giorgio Testa wrote:

Hi Stephanie,

Good luck

Giorgio Testa
[email protected]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados training and certification

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »