Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 3, 2007

Hello to Everybody !
I'm quite new with Trados as before I was using Wordfast.
I often translate Excel files: could you pls let me know how to work it out?
Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TagEditor Oct 3, 2007

Hi

simply open Excel files with TagEditor, that converts Excel files into TagEditor files.
If you save them as bilingual, you will save a TagEditor file, while saving them as target you will overwrite your original Excel file with the translation.

Antonella

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You probably have to prepare the files Oct 3, 2007

Usually you have more than one column in a spreadsheet, but you should translate only one of them. Let's say the source is in column A, and the customer wants you to put the translation into column F, the columns between being dedicated for other languages.
In this case you have to copy the source column into a new file and translate this. After translation you have to copy the column to the original file into column F.

I always copy the source text to a Word file, because in Word I can use online spellingchecker.
After translation I copy the content to the desired position.

Regards
Heinrich

Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks !! Oct 3, 2007

Thanks for yr tips.
I was used to Wordfast but I was told Trados is much better even from a software point of view and ......everybody has trados !!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I use Wordfast most of the time Oct 4, 2007

Only if a customers sends a Trados TM and the prepared ttx-files will I use Trados. The Wordbench environment is not very convenient.
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Excel files

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search