Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:39
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 4, 2007

Hi all,

I have a funny assignment here:

A PPT file where the slides are already in the target language, but the speaker's notes are still in the source lang.

Now the notes should be translated. AFAIK, the Trados filter only allow the notes to be excluded, not the other way round.

So if I open this PPT in TagEditor, I'd have to skip all segments in the slides manually, which is quite a chore (200 pgs)

How would you do to minimize the hassle?
Is there any way in Powerpoint to export the notes to a text file, translate the text separately, and then run a "translate to fuzzy" on the PPT using the TM.

Or do you have a smarter trick to deal with this?!

TIA,

Jan

Direct link Reply with quote

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Another way... Oct 4, 2007

For one thing, your method would not work, as "translate to fuzzy" would stop on those original segments... (You have to use Workbench "Translate" function.)

I suggest an opposite course of action:

1. Make a new TM.
2. Import the PPT without the notes and "translate" it automatically with the "copy the source" option set.
3. Clean this file up. You will get all those "original-original" segments in your database.
4. Now import the PPT with the notes. Use "translate to fuzzy" - TagEditor will skip (translate) all the original segments and will stop on the notes, which you will have to translate.

The drawback is that you mess up your TM with original text (that is why I suggested creating a new TM). If you really want to salvage those notes, you might set an attribute at step 3, clear it when translating the notes and then remove all the segments with the attribute set. Alternately, you might use the "bad" TM as a reference TM and any TM you want your notes in as the main TM (I am not sure it would work...)

I do not think, though, that it is worth the hassle.

[Edited at 2007-10-04 11:56]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
You could try to tweak the ppt filter of Trados Oct 4, 2007

PowerPoint_1_0_0_0.xml

What happens if you change the value of SlidesInPresentationOrder from the default "NotesAfterEverySlide" to "NotesAfterAllSlides" ?

HTH
Antonin

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're a geniuos! Oct 4, 2007

Thanks Jabberwock, that's a brilliant modus operandi!

How come I didn't think of it?!

BTW, I've only checked Powerpoint 2003.
Out of curiousity, maybe there are more versatile export options in PPT 2007 that can separate the notes from the rest???

/Jan

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Also a smart idea! Oct 4, 2007

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

PowerPoint_1_0_0_0.xml

What happens if you change the value of SlidesInPresentationOrder from the default "NotesAfterEverySlide" to "NotesAfterAllSlides" ?

HTH
Antonin

Hi Antonin,

Thanks a lot, I didn't reflect on that!

I don't actually have to tweak the xml file, the Filter Settings dialogue (Under the start menu) has this option too.

I guess this will produce a TTX where all the slides come first, and the notes come in a block after that.

It's also a smart idea, because it would allow me to scroll by the slides, and start working at the notes section in TagEditor!

/Jan

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stuck on step 2 Oct 9, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

(You have to use Workbench "Translate" function.)

2. Import the PPT without the notes and "translate" it automatically with the "copy the source" option set.

Hi Jabberwock and all,

I'm a bit confused about this step. It sounds great in theory, but I can't get TWB to work the way I want.

You mean that I should pretranslate the files in TWB (with the Filter setting Exclude notes), right?
I select Tools>Translate, but I'm uncertain what I should activate next.
I can select Options>Translation Memory Options>General>Copy source on no match. But AFAIK, this actually doesn't prepopulate the target segments during the pretranslation. It's merely a function that will kick in once a segment is opened in TagEditor. It just copies down the open segment, but doesn't move on automatically.
I'd need to press a key to move on to the next segment every time.
How do I automatize this step?

Thanks a lot for your invaluable help,

Jan

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Sorry! Oct 9, 2007

I got the name of the option all wrong!

It is called "Segment unknown sentences". (In the Tools\Translate dialog option.) This has to be selected.

I got confused, as in ttx it does not actually segment anything (as the file is already segmented), but just copies the source segment to the target segment, as described.

[Edited at 2007-10-09 08:20]

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works Oct 9, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

I got the name of the option all wrong!

It is called "Segment unknown sentences". (In the Tools\Translate dialog option.) This has to be selected.

I got confused, as in ttx it does not actually segment anything (as the file is already segmented), but just copies the source segment to the target segment, as described.

Aha!
I always wondered what "Segment unknown sentences" really meant.
A bit misleading - Trados should have given this function another name, IMHO.

Anyway, it works like a charm! Thanks again JW and Antonin, I owe you one!

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating PPT notes in Trados?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search