Converting itd to bilingual word files
Thread poster: Brigitte Hamilton

Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:51
Member (2007)
German to English
Oct 7, 2007

I usually work in Word and translator's workbench, but for this particular job I used SDLX, which imported the doc file and created an itd file. I have already created the clean word file (Create translation), but I do not know how to create a bilingual word file from the itd file. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:51
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
You need presegmented RTF for that Oct 8, 2007

Brigitte Hamilton wrote:

I usually work in Word and translator's workbench, but for this particular job I used SDLX, which imported the doc file and created an itd file. I have already created the clean word file (Create translation), but I do not know how to create a bilingual word file from the itd file. Does anyone know? Thanks!

SDLX accepts 'pretranslated' RTF file from Workbench, preferably on an empty TM, because differences in formatting cause format paint problems in SDL Edit.

It converts Workbench segments into SDL Edit segments and when you export the file back to the original format, you also get an RTF files with Workbench segments.

It works most of the time but on some occasions I got RTF files with a broken segment or two. Such a file won't clean up in Workbench and you have to fix it manually.

HTH,

Piotr

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 05:51
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Piotr's solution is for the future Oct 8, 2007

For now, you can retranslate the doc file in Word with the aid of Trados Workbench, using the TM from SDL (not being an SDL active user, I am not sure about technical details of using an SDL memory in Trados, but it should not be a problem, I believe). Unless the Word file is heavily formated, this "emergency workflow" may come out reasonably.

HTH

Antonin

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:51
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
SDL Exchange Oct 8, 2007

Right-click the SDLX-icon and choose SDL Exchange. Select as processing mode "convert SDLX to TagEdirot" and choose the itd-file. The conversion is very swift. Hope it works for you!
Regards
Heinrich

Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:51
Member (2007)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you..... Oct 15, 2007

....for the advice. I wish I had asked a bit earlier, as my timelines were very pressing and I just assumed that I could convert into bilingual out of SDLX, which was not very smart, in hindsight. I did try to convert to tag editor (ttx), and opened the file in tag editor, but I could not create a bilingual file from there either.

I would have preferred to work in Word, but unfortunately Word 2007 together with TRADOS 2007 is very, very slow. It was much faster when I had the older Word version (2003), but it was not compatible with the new trados system (I kept crashing).

Now I don't crash, I just wait.....

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting itd to bilingual word files

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search