https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/86102-create_a_tmw_vith_the_trados_demo.html

Create a TMW vith the Trados demo?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:46
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 9, 2007

Hi all,

A client has a tmx, but is reluctant to send it unprotected.
Can he download the Trados demo, create a new TMW, import the tmx and password protect it?

Or is that functionality disabled in the demo version?

I could of course download and check this myself, but perhaps some friendly prozian know this out of the hat?!

TIA,

/Jan

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Yes, No Oct 9, 2007

Hello,

yes he can, but the demo is only able to handle 100 segments in the TM.

Maybe he can make a contract with you, that you work with closed eyes

Hans

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Unprotected? Oct 9, 2007

What exactly is the client's concern? When he sends you tmw with the password, you will have access to it anyway?

If it is just an issue of sending, you can ask him to zip it with a long password (or, even better, rar) - while it is possible to crack it, it may take weeks.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Limited access TMW Oct 9, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

What exactly is the client's concern? When he sends you tmw with the password, you will have access to it anyway?

Hi Jabberwock,

I was vague in my original post. In TWB, you can set three levels of password protection for a tmw memory:
read-only
read-write
full access (even open the TM exclusively)

Clients that entertain their own TMs might prefer to give read-write access only.
It enables the translator to work on a TM, but not export it in clear text. They can also timestamp it in TWB, so that it's unusable after expiry.

So in this case, the client has a TMX from Transit, that he'd like me to use in Trados. But this doesn't mean that I should be able to harvest all content and use it outside of the job scope.

But if the client needs to buy Trados just to create a read-write TMW, he will probably rather give the TMX to me for free

/Jan

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
I see now... Oct 9, 2007

I get it now... I somehow could not understand that the client might want fully secured Trados database and not want to have Trados at the same time

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create a TMW vith the Trados demo?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »