Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Local time: 13:24
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Oct 9, 2007

Dear All

I have just finished translating and proofreading some 150 slides. I created the translation, as usual but, and here comes the tragedy, when I examine the created file I see ALL SENTENCES in it duplicated, plus with the source text still at its place... it's a real mess.

What shall I do now? Useless to say that it's due today and it's a huge (and risky) job to cancel each double sentence + source text manually...

sabina

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
There's a fix, depending on the version you have Oct 9, 2007

sabina moscatelli wrote:

Dear All

I have just finished translating and proofreading some 150 slides. I created the translation, as usual but, and here comes the tragedy, when I examine the created file I see ALL SENTENCES in it duplicated, plus with the source text still at its place... it's a real mess.

What shall I do now? Useless to say that it's due today and it's a huge (and risky) job to cancel each double sentence + source text manually...

sabina

If you have SDLX bundled with Trados (Version 2007 or 2006), try opening the original with TagEditor. First you'll have to export your TM to TMX (or Trados TXT format as an alternative) and import it into a Workbench TM.

Use the translate feature in Workbench to quckly pretranslate the presentation and then in TagEditor go through all non-100% matches - there are commands for that - to fix them.

When you are done, hopefully you will not have a 'bilingual' PPT when you Save Target As.

HTH

Piotr

Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)  Identity Verified
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
Try repeating translation process with SDLX Oct 9, 2007

I have Windows vista home premium and sdl trados 2007 professional and experienced the same problem. If you're not a very experienced user, I would recommend repeating the process in SDLX before following Piotr's suggestion, perhaps using a slightly different approach, such as via "Tools"/"translate single file" on the main SDLX menu.

Why?
- exporting/importing TMs sometimes takes much longer than anticipated for less experienced users, especially when 100% matches mysteri
... See more
I have Windows vista home premium and sdl trados 2007 professional and experienced the same problem. If you're not a very experienced user, I would recommend repeating the process in SDLX before following Piotr's suggestion, perhaps using a slightly different approach, such as via "Tools"/"translate single file" on the main SDLX menu.

Why?
- exporting/importing TMs sometimes takes much longer than anticipated for less experienced users, especially when 100% matches mysteriously become 99% matches.
- it may take time getting used to working in TagEditor if you are more comfortable with SDL Edit. Just before job delivery is not a good time.
- I think it is generally faster to use SDL Edit to translate Powerpoints, even taking into consideration the time it takes to manually fix occasional bugs like the one you're experiencing (I've translated hundreds of PP's in SDL Edit).

If you are comfortable with TagEdit, and if all else fails, I'd do exactly as Piotr says. I personally loath that option because when you pay a lot of money for a tool designed to handle Powerpoints, you should be able to use it for just that! Good luck!
Collapse

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot to both of you. Oct 9, 2007

Yes, I am using Vista Premium and SLDX 2007... Now I have re-arranged things, asking the customer for a delayed delivery but next time I will move everything to my Laptop, where I still have my old XP.

I also hate working with Tag Editor, since I find SDLX much quicker, reliable and user friendly, especially with heavy files, like this one.

Your help is always precious.

sabina

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I prefer SDLX too Oct 10, 2007

sabina moscatelli wrote:

Yes, I am using Vista Premium and SLDX 2007... Now I have re-arranged things, asking the customer for a delayed delivery but next time I will move everything to my Laptop, where I still have my old XP.

I also hate working with Tag Editor, since I find SDLX much quicker, reliable and user friendly, especially with heavy files, like this one.

Your help is always precious.

sabina

but it also happened to me that a PPT would not be exported correctly from the ITD format, and then TagEditor is a fallback position.

Another option - save in the new PPTX format and go through Heartsome XLIFF Editor with it.

Regards

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PPT file and SDLX - a disaster

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »