Thread poster: Claire FRADET
Claire FRADET
France
Local time: 06:15
English to French
+ ...
Oct 11, 2007

Hi everyone,

I erased the folder containing all my Trados translation memories! I thought it was just the shortcut on the desk but today when I tried to open a TM I realised the whole file was gone... because I made the HUGE mistake when installing Trados Freelance 2006 of storing the TMs on the desk!

Does anyone know what to do? I have a back-up folder stored on my computer but it's 6 months old. Basically I'm looking for a way to retrieve them that would be quicker than opening all the documents I translated during the past 6 months and ask Workbench to translate them again.

Do you have any suggestion? I heard about a way to cancel the last operations made under Windows (a way "to go back in time" for the computer and forget the last operations) but have no idea how to do that.

FYI, I emptied the trash can yesterday... and I use a PC + Windows XP.

I advance, thanks a lot for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
unclean files? Oct 11, 2007

Hi Claire
My advice would be to take your PC immediately to a local PC expert. If you haven't overwritten the sectors the file was in (so whatever you do don't save anything for the moment), they will probably have several different ways of trying to retrieve it (not guaranteed 100% but a good chance).
Otherwise do you keep the unclean files? You can use the Clean Up function to import all of the TUs, though you would have the same TU info for all files unless you changed it between Clean Ups.

I know what it's like to lose all my photos like that, so I recently started using an online backup service called Data Deposit Box that costs me USD2 a month to back up all my docs, photos, accounts and of course TMs. Well worth the peace of mind...

I'll cross my fingers for you!

Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:15
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That's terrible Oct 11, 2007

Hi, Claire

That is so terrible
Anyway, I don't know if this is a rumour, but I have been told by a friend that we can recover erased files, with a program that is available on the Internet.
Maybe someone here can confirm if this is true or not.

Hope you can solve it!

See this links:
http://www.e-rol.com/pt/erol_ntfs.htm
http://www.recoverylabs.pt/servicos/recuperar-ficheiros.htm
http://www.ondata-pt.com/

Oh and you still have the possibility of restoring the system, in case nothing else works!

[Edited at 2007-10-11 13:38]

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:15
English to Swedish
+ ...
Try restoring your computer Oct 11, 2007

Claire FRADET wrote:

I heard about a way to cancel the last operations made under Windows (a way "to go back in time" for the computer and forget the last operations) but have no idea how to do that.

Hi Claire,

You are probably thinking of system restore. Go to Start - Help and Support - Undo changes to your computer with System Restore
Click on that link and it will tell you what to do, choose a restore point before the time you erased the file with the memories.

Hopefully that will help.

ALso, you should always save your TM by using the Export function under File in Trados Workbench. That will give you a txt.file that you should save on a couple of places on your computer, and not with your other TM-files. WIth this file you can always create a new TM by importing the same txt.file into it. If you have already got a txt.file from your memory that you have kept updated (ie exported to, I do this every night) you can of course just create a new TM from that).

Good luck!

//Anette

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:15
English to Indonesian
+ ...
free recovery tools Oct 11, 2007

you can try one of these: http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=188
hope you can restore your tm. and next time, please back up your files. you can use external hard drive for this. or you can zip them and upload it online...

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Before doing anything else, check your trash Oct 11, 2007

Anything you delete can usually still be recovered from the trashbin - symbol of a little waste bin on the Desktop.

Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
voir cette page sur zdnet Oct 11, 2007

http://www.zdnet.fr/telecharger/windows/fiche/0,39021313,11009498s,00.htm

Le téléchargement semble gratuit mais je serais très prudent

R-Undelete 2.1

Télécharger
940 Ko
Autres liens de téléchargement
Téléchargé : 67558 fois
Auteur/Editeur : R-tools Technology Inc.
Mise en ligne : 2005/02/15 22:00:00
Taille : 940 Ko
Licence : Version d'évaluation
Langue : Anglais

Description
Récupérer les fichiers supprimés ou endommagés.
Simple d’emploi, R-Undelete permet de récupérer des fichiers appartenant aux systèmes FAT, NTFS, NTFS5 ou Ext2FS et présents sur n’importe quel disque logique visible par le système d’exploitation. Ces fichiers peuvent avoir été préalablement supprimés sans envoi dans la Corbeille, à la suite d’une attaque de virus ou d’une coupure de courant. R-Undelete sait également récupérer les fichiers cryptés et compressés. Dans cette nouvelle version 2.0, les fonctions de récupération de R-Undelete sont accessibles depuis l'explorateur de Windows.

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
No, this will not work Oct 11, 2007

Anette Herbert wrote:

Claire FRADET wrote:

I heard about a way to cancel the last operations made under Windows (a way "to go back in time" for the computer and forget the last operations) but have no idea how to do that.

Hi Claire,

You are probably thinking of system restore. Go to Start - Help and Support - Undo changes to your computer with System Restore
Click on that link and it will tell you what to do, choose a restore point before the time you erased the file with the memories.

Hopefully that will help.

ALso, you should always save your TM by using the Export function under File in Trados Workbench. That will give you a txt.file that you should save on a couple of places on your computer, and not with your other TM-files. WIth this file you can always create a new TM by importing the same txt.file into it. If you have already got a txt.file from your memory that you have kept updated (ie exported to, I do this every night) you can of course just create a new TM from that).

Good luck!

//Anette

In this way you can restore your system settings or "uninstall" an unwanted application (i.e. restore the status before the application installation), but system restore does not affect data like documents, music, films and similar files.

As a general rule, NEVER keep your data (files) on drive C. Drive C is for system and applications only. You should store all your data on logical drive D AND MAKE BACKUPS of them on an external drive (like an USB hard drive) as often as possible.

Now, first check the content or recycle bin first, than try one of the free recovery applications.

Good luck

Andrzej

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:15
English to Dutch
+ ...
Do NOT use System Restore for recovery of lost data Oct 11, 2007

System restore will alter data locations on the hard disk, fill 'emptied' space on it and thus endanger recovery of any deleted files.

First: check your 'trash can' for possibilities of restoring deleted files.
If there's nothing to restore there, follow Anthony's advice and let someone who does this professionally try to recover by Undelete. There is a good chance you might get your TM's back, but STOP fiddling with installations of new programs, system recoveries and other well meant, but potentially harmful 'solutions'.

Good luck!

Anette Herbert wrote:

//Anette

Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 11:15
English to Russian
+ ...
EasyRecovery Oct 11, 2007

When I inadvertenly formatted the hard disc I just called one of the guys that offer services on solving PC-connected problems. He brought the program EasyRecovery, it helped me to restore the results of one-month work due to deliver.
Just don't write anything not to overrite the files in need.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
LOCA accident - and they kept saying it could never happen Oct 11, 2007

This feels terrible...

How I would recover:

i) Go for backup disks
if none available
ii) copy all delivered uncleaned files into a subdirectory and import into a new TM
if none available
iii) look them up in the mails sent to clients
if none available (now this will be REAL hard, brace yourself)
iv) call clients and ask them to send you a copy

and then make a backup

Regards

Vito

LOCA: Loss-Of-Coolant-Accident (see Windscale, 3Miles etc)

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just don't panic Oct 11, 2007

and download the free software here http://www.pcinspector.de/
You can then chose the language and recover your files. Usually, when you did not do many disk operations with saving and erasing data on your HDD, you should be able to recover all lost files.

And please take the advice of all experienced user here: never ever save your files on your HDD C:. Parition your HDD to at least two partitions C: and D: and save all data on D. Then go for a backup solution - you can find a quite detailed description in my session about Windows backup, held in Budapest during this year's ProZ conference there.

Good luck
Jerzy

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
If nothing else works... Oct 11, 2007

If none of the tips offered here work, you can always use the unclean version of your translations to re-create your TMs:

In Trados:
1) Create a new TM
2) Go to Tools > Clean Up
3) Make sure that "Update TM" is selected
4) Select the unclean files whose content you want in that TM
5) Click the "Clean Up" button

Of course, this can be a little time-consuming, but at least it's not too complex.

Good luck.
Jerónimo

Oops, sorry, this is one of the soluctions that Vito suggested.

[Edited at 2007-10-11 19:18]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
go with Jerónimo Oct 12, 2007

This would certainly work, if you have bilingual files on the system If not download the trial Fusion from http://www.orcadev.com generate new TM, extract segments from source and target. Here one can use both bilingual files and singly souce and target files as well. Later export the TM and reimport into Trados. This solution goes like magic and you can literally see what is happening. Advantage of Fusion is, it is visual. Best regards, Brandis

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Sorry Claire Oct 12, 2007

I just realised you already said you'd emptied your trash. My apologies for a completely useless suggestion! I hope one of the others proved more successful.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: I erased all my translation memories

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search