United Kingdom
Local time: 07:14
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 13, 2007

Hello,
Trados 2006, Word 2003, Windows XP.
I have got half-way through the translation and when I click on "Open/Get" (in an attempt to create a new Translation Unit for a piece of text which I have not yet translated), a new unit is not created. It just highlights the next letter and there is no error message on the Trados screen.
Any help much appreciated.
Regards,

Carlos.

L3r0y
L3r0y
Taiwan
Local time: 15:14
Italian to French
+ ...
Can Trados create it automatically? Oct 13, 2007

I suppose there are translated segments before this segment you cannot edit...

Try to open a segment normally before the passage concerned. Then, use another button, the Open/Save/Get the Other.
(The one with the arrow in center with two red arrows in bold).
Normally Trados will close the segment you're on and open the next one automatically.

You can try also the button Translate to Fuzzy.

If the problem remains, try to get Word to display par
... See more
I suppose there are translated segments before this segment you cannot edit...

Try to open a segment normally before the passage concerned. Then, use another button, the Open/Save/Get the Other.
(The one with the arrow in center with two red arrows in bold).
Normally Trados will close the segment you're on and open the next one automatically.

You can try also the button Translate to Fuzzy.

If the problem remains, try to get Word to display paragraphs marks, you may see the little thing disturbing Trados. (A break, a tab, a punctuation mistake or an unneccessary space...)

Hope it helps
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:14
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Restore document Oct 13, 2007

Have you tried the "restore document" option (Alt+Ctrl+U)?
Attila

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 08:14
English to German
+ ...
Cut out a little Oct 14, 2007

further ahead from where you are, make sure you see the tags and cut out the segment with the tags by using ctrl x. Then restore document.

If the problem persists, you can do a clean up of your "virgin" source document and see if you get an error message in the log file.

I always do a trial clean-up of documents I consider problematic before I start...

Martin

PS. You may have inadvertently damaged your word file, hence starting with your virg
... See more
further ahead from where you are, make sure you see the tags and cut out the segment with the tags by using ctrl x. Then restore document.

If the problem persists, you can do a clean up of your "virgin" source document and see if you get an error message in the log file.

I always do a trial clean-up of documents I consider problematic before I start...

Martin

PS. You may have inadvertently damaged your word file, hence starting with your virgin file is a good idea, too. All your previous translations will be in the memory.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can't create new Translation Unit

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »