Thread poster: Doron Greenspan MITI

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:39
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Oct 14, 2007

I'm not sure if this is a Hebrew-specific problem, but think not. Before posting, I spent a long time trying to figure out the Trados help...

I'd like to have the line numbers in TW (2007/Word 2003) remain with the line content.
This is because it takes an extra frustrating effort to make the "7.", for example, into ".7" - which is right for Hebrew's Right-to-Left direction.

In short, I want this sample sentence:

1. Here's the content of this line.

To remain exactly that; and NOT break into the following two segments (the former not offered for translation):

Here's the content of this line.

Many thanks, Doron

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:39
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you are able to edit the source file, Oct 14, 2007

replace the spaces between the number and the sentence with non breaking spaces and the segmentation after the number with dot will stop.
You could also modify the segmentation rule for "Full Stop" by activating the check box "Number stop".
However, I personally always avoid to modify the segmentation rules.

In Word files the "NBSP" between number with a dot and the following text always stops segmentation there, as the rule "dot followed by a space" is no longer valid at this place. Also any other Tag, placed betweend the dotted number and a text will stop the segmentation there.

Should all this not help, replace the dot and space with a dot and an underliner "._". After you are finished with the translation you can replace all back.

HTH
Jerzy

[Edited at 2007-10-14 09:22]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Changing segmentation to ignore dotted numbers Oct 14, 2007

Sorry, I wasn't precise in my previous post.
If you want Workbench to ignore, that a dot is preceeded by a number, you'll have to cklic the option "Number stop" twice, so that it is neither checked, nor unchecked. Than it should work.

Best
Jerzy

S_Angel  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
This is what I was looking for! May 10, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

replace the spaces between the number and the sentence with non breaking spaces and the segmentation after the number with dot will stop.

I bring up this old topic first of all to thank Jerzy, since I finally found a solution to a problem that I have had for a while.

I am just wondering: could the substitution be a problem for my client during DTP?
Should I susbstitute all the spaces again once I finish the translation and bring back the text to the original situation?

Thank you in advance!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Non-breaking space should not be a problem for DTP May 10, 2009

However, please make sure your file can be converted back. In certain applications (Framemaker for example) non-breanking space is represented by a TAG. While up to version 7 of Framemaker using this tag did not break the back conversion of the file, it may very well do so for Framemaker 8.
But if you replace the spaces with the character you insert with ALT+160 (looks like a small circle similar to degree mark - °), the segmentation behind the number will stop and this character will be interpreted either as non-breaking space by software, which can do that, or as a simple space by other software. The conversion process will however not break now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation - don't want line numbers to be segmented from line content

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search