Distinguishing Repetitions from Full Matches in Bilingual after Translation
Thread poster: xxxAchimT
xxxAchimT
English
Oct 16, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I've been told when a Repetition occurs the first time (i.e. an identical segment has been translated once before), it is entered as a full match into the translated bilingual file, and hence, in the bilingual file, it is no longer recognizable as having been a repetition rather than a full match.

However, I'd like to be able to see whether a translated segment has been a full match or a repetition. Unfortunately I don't know how to achieve that tweaking the tag settings either.

Thanks in advance for all replies

Achim

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Analysis versus translating Oct 16, 2007

You don't say whether you're using SDLX or Trados Translators Workbench.

As far as I know, the concept of repetitions in Trados exists only in the Analysis function.

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:33
English to German
+ ...
Pretranslate the file using a different colour for 100% matches Oct 16, 2007

Hi Achim,

I assume you are talking about Trados.

The only way that I can think of to distiguish 100% matches from repetitions is to pre-translate the file using a different colour for 100% matches:

1) In Translator's Workbench select Options > Translated Text Colours and choose a colour for Target (100% match).

2) Select Tools > Translate and pre-translate the file.

3) Go back to the Translated Text Colours dialog box and set the colour for 100% matches back to Unchanged.

Now you can translate the file as normal. All translation units that you insert now (new translations as well as repetitions) should be in black font while the 100% matches are the colour you chose for them.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Distinguishing Repetitions from Full Matches in Bilingual after Translation

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search