Line or word count for html files with TagEditor?
Thread poster: Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:06
Member (2008)
German to English
Oct 17, 2007

I have been asked to submit a quote for the translation of a website. So far I only have the website address, however I am hoping that the customer will be able to supply me with html files so that I can translate the the website with TagEditor. As the website contains a very large number of pages and links, copying and pasting it all into Word in order to get a line count for the quotation is going to be a huge task. If the customer can provide me with the html files, is there any way of getti... See more
I have been asked to submit a quote for the translation of a website. So far I only have the website address, however I am hoping that the customer will be able to supply me with html files so that I can translate the the website with TagEditor. As the website contains a very large number of pages and links, copying and pasting it all into Word in order to get a line count for the quotation is going to be a huge task. If the customer can provide me with the html files, is there any way of getting a line count from them for a quotation - and is it also possible to count the lines in the finished translation? I use Trados 6.5.

Thanks for any help!
Collapse

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Same as for Word Oct 17, 2007

Go to the Trados Workbench, select Tools/Analysis, then click on "Add".

When the file requester pops up, select the file type as HTML, and add the necessary files, so as to count the words. No sweat at all.

It does however count only words. It you "need" to quote it based on "standard lines", try Amtrad's Feewizard (http://www.amtrad.it/feewizard.php) to make the conversion.<
... See more
Go to the Trados Workbench, select Tools/Analysis, then click on "Add".

When the file requester pops up, select the file type as HTML, and add the necessary files, so as to count the words. No sweat at all.

It does however count only words. It you "need" to quote it based on "standard lines", try Amtrad's Feewizard (http://www.amtrad.it/feewizard.php) to make the conversion.

To count the words in the translation, perform another "analysis" on the TARGET files.

[Editado a las 2007-10-17 18:47]
Collapse

Tansy Tazewell
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 18, 2007

Excellent - that's very good news. Thanks very much for your help!

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
No sweat at all ... if it's static valid html Oct 18, 2007

Ramon Somoza wrote:
lect the file type as HTML, and add the necessary files, so as to count the words. No sweat at all.[/quote]

At least if we are talking about static webpages with ()hopefully "valid" (x)html. But web designers often create invalid html. Also this will not work if we are talking about a web content management, i.e. a database driven website. The client will probably sent xml file or sql dumps.
This should be discussed in advance because it can increase engineering efforts quite a lot.

Kind regards,
Stefan Gentz

[Bearbeitet am 2007-10-19 06:20]

Tansy Tazewell
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ok... Oct 19, 2007

Thanks Stefan!

That's all a bit above me - but I am now in contact with the actual web designer and will try to discuss those aspects with him.

Tansy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Line or word count for html files with TagEditor?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »