Trados is installed on 2 PCs... What if one of them needs replacing?
Thread poster: Andrew Levine

Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:24
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 19, 2007

Hi, I have SDL Trados 2007 installed on two computers (desktop and laptop) both running Windows XP. I purchased a license only once (I heard that it can be installed on up to two computers at once). How do I keep from having to buy a second Trados license in case one of my computers crashes and I need to replace it with a new computer and install SDL Trados again? Does it involve using the "License Manager" somehow? My desktop is on its last legs and I am looking to replace it, but I want to do whatever I can to avoid paying the fee a second time.

I tried searching the forum but found no definitive answers.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2007-10-19 19:41]

Direct link Reply with quote

Fausto Magalhães da Silveira
Brazil
Local time: 14:24
English to Portuguese
Trados on more than one computer Oct 19, 2007

Hi Andrew,

According to Trados Freelance EULA,

"This Agreement permits Customer to use only one (1) copy of the Product at a time (...), on only one (1) workstation, terminal or other device (a “Workstation Computer”), solely for Customer’s internal business purposes."

Your license grants you permission to use the software on a single computer at a time.

However, I think there's no problem in having Trados installed on more than one computer, provided that you follow the EULA.

Virtually, you could have it installed and running on as many computers as possible, provided that they're not part of the same network (but this would violate the agreement).

I hope that helped!

Best regards,

Fausto

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:24
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
problems with Vista & registering the SDLX licence Oct 20, 2007

A particularly pertinent question for me, since I have just been faced with this problem without the benefit of advance planning. My laptop crashed irretrievably.

I downloaded SDL Trados 2006 - which I bought last year as an upgrade from the 2004 version - using the downloads registered to my account on www.sdl.com, but I am not sure that the programme is compatible with Vista because the patches and some components of the 6 or 7 files are not installing properly on my new laptop with a Windows Business Vista operating system. I am unable to register the programme again, either, so it is not as easy as it seems. SDLX is still working on my desktop, but I cannot get it to work on my new laptop. I have lost a lot of time and have been unable to find an answer in the SDL Trados knowledge base so far to overcome those problems, so you are wise to ask the question in advance. I think my problems with registration are due to the fact the programme is not properly installed yet, because so far, I have had no problems using SDLX alternatively on my desktop and laptop using the same licence.

Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 19:24
English to German
+ ...
Why buy another licence? Oct 20, 2007

I don't understand your problem, you already have Trados running on two computers...so if one crashes and provided you back up your Trados memories regularly, you can switch to the other computer...

In the meanwhile, you buy a new computer and reinstall Trados on that second computer...

Or are you saying the Trados software key is linked to one computer only???

But that can't be the case because you already have it installed on two?

Martin

United States
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Martin Oct 20, 2007

Martin: I was actually under the impression that the Trados license could be linked to up to two computers at once, but no more. However, it seems Fausto has set me straight on this matter.

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:24
English to Greek
+ ...
Had to deal with this problem Oct 21, 2007

Just one month ago, my desktop crashed and, naturally, I was not able to return the license.

When I received my new desktop, I could not install license because I had already installed it on two PCs (desktop and laptop). So, I contacted my local Trados rep and they advised me to post a question on the SDL Trados support website (support.sdl.com) explaining the situation.

To the credit of the SDL Trados staff, within two days, my problem was solved. I was given a new license number and my Trados is once again running on my desktop.

Hope this helps clear matters for you.

Enjoy a lovely Sunday,
Nadia

United States
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I'm confused. Oct 23, 2007

Nadia Fahmi wrote:
When I received my new desktop, I could not install license because I had already installed it on two PCs (desktop and laptop).

Okay, now I am a bit confused. This was my initial impression, that Trados could only be installed on 2 computers at once. Fausto said this was incorrect. But now you are saying that it's correct.

Can someone please help clear up this confusion?

Thanks,
Andrew

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Installation permitted on two computers Oct 29, 2007

Allow me to clear up the confusion:
If you go to http://www.translationzone.com/en/support/installation.asp
and click on 'listen to the SLD Trados 2006/2007 pre-recorded webinar'
you will hear someone from SDL say that you ARE allowed to install the programme on 2 computers, usually a desktop and laptop.

Just a word of caution: On Windows Vista, you need to allow sdl to pass through your firewall, because otherwise the registration process doesn't work. I found instructions on assigning port 80 to sdl on the online support forum after several failed attempts to register SDL on my licence, the same way Nadia did after her laptop crashed.

The moral of the story is that answers to most SDL Trados-related questions CAN be found online, if you take the time to read all the information.

United States
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still the original question, then. Oct 29, 2007

Anne Lee wrote:

Allow me to clear up the confusion:
If you go to http://www.translationzone.com/en/support/installation.asp
and click on 'listen to the SLD Trados 2006/2007 pre-recorded webinar'
you will hear someone from SDL say that you ARE allowed to install the programme on 2 computers, usually a desktop and laptop.

Anne,

Thank you. This brings me back, however, to my original question: How do I "return" one of the two installed instances of Trados so that I can install it a different computer (and therefore maintain the situation on having it installed on two machines)?

Thanks in advance.

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
By using SDL's support system Oct 29, 2007

Hi Andrew,
Like Nadia, I had to write to SDL support and needed to have my licence 'returned' by a member of their team before I could register. Fortunately, I have a Level 1 support contract which brought me a fairly quick answer, i.e. today in response to my support request on Friday. It really helps to have a support contract, because I'm not sure how long it would take, otherwise. But to answer your question: it IS possible. Earlier last week, I wrote an email to SLD which did NOT go through their online support request system and I never received a response to that. So you would have to go through the online support system, where enquiries are dealt with according to the level of your support contract. Users without a support contract can write too, but they may need to wait longer for a response.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados is installed on 2 PCs... What if one of them needs replacing?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search