Thread poster: Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:39
English to French
+ ...
Oct 20, 2007

Why does my TM always reproduce the same choise for a word which has more than one translation. I open the TM, select the one I want, but when I want to apply it, a pop-up asks me if I am sure I want to delete the whole translation (!!! Just Imagine that !) and the TM keeps choosing the term I don't want rather than its other translation...

Also, when I want to save, a pop-up tells me a segment requires format painting, but I did all the format painting and when I search with the l
... See more
Why does my TM always reproduce the same choise for a word which has more than one translation. I open the TM, select the one I want, but when I want to apply it, a pop-up asks me if I am sure I want to delete the whole translation (!!! Just Imagine that !) and the TM keeps choosing the term I don't want rather than its other translation...

Also, when I want to save, a pop-up tells me a segment requires format painting, but I did all the format painting and when I search with the little Next required segment arrow, up or down, the program pops-up a No segment requires format painting message.

Is that machine dumb or what ?

:-L
Collapse

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:39
English to German
+ ...
You'r using the wrong command Oct 22, 2007

Hi Aude,

From the way you describe what happens, I'm pretty sure that you are using the wrong command to insert a translation unit. The Apply command is for applying the TM to the entire (!) file, not just a segment. When doing this you can choose whether you want to delete previous translations or not. To insert a translation from the TM Results window press Alt + the number of the translation you want to insert. Alternatively you can select Translation Memory > Paste Option x (where x is the number of the translation you want to insert).

Also, when I want to save, a pop-up tells me a segment requires format painting, but I did all the format painting and when I search with the little Next required segment arrow, up or down, the program pops-up a No segment requires format painting message.

Check if one of the source segment numbers is highlighted in green. If it is, this segment still requires format painting. Sometimes missing format paintings cannot be found unsing the Next required segment arrow (don't know why, this definitely is a nuisance...). If you don't see anything missing, try to reset the format painting by pressing Ctrl + F4 and re-apply the formats.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Claudia

Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:39
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
wrong command Oct 22, 2007

Claudia Digel wrote:I'm pretty sure that you are using the wrong command to insert a translation unit.

I was using the wrong command.
Luckily, it was a small word. Faster to retype than paste.
Now I know for next time. I cannot thank you enough Claudia.

Check...one of the source segment numbers

Idem. Happy to learn that some nuisances are not due entirely to my ignorance. Thanks.

Hope this helps. It does, very much !

Best regards,
Claudia [/quote]

Have a nice day !
Ode

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple choice for segment in SDLX

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »