https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/87289-is_trados_2007_useless_when_used_with_word_2007.html

Is Trados 2007 useless when used with Word 2007
Thread poster: ScanTran
ScanTran
ScanTran
Local time: 14:17
Danish to English
+ ...
Oct 22, 2007

I recently bought a new computer with a high specification and Vista.

I tried to continue to use Office 2000 and Trados 6.5. However, it turned out that Outlook 2000 is not compatible with Vista.

So, I decided to go the whole hog and and upgrade to Office 2007. It then turned out that Trados 6.5 would not work under this, so I spent another 300 pounds or so purchasing Trados 2007, which is supposed to be compatible with both Vista and Word 2007 (according the the we
... See more
I recently bought a new computer with a high specification and Vista.

I tried to continue to use Office 2000 and Trados 6.5. However, it turned out that Outlook 2000 is not compatible with Vista.

So, I decided to go the whole hog and and upgrade to Office 2007. It then turned out that Trados 6.5 would not work under this, so I spent another 300 pounds or so purchasing Trados 2007, which is supposed to be compatible with both Vista and Word 2007 (according the the website).

However, I find Trados 2007 unuseable. The transition when moving onto a new translation unit is about 20 seconds, during which time the screen moves about and you never know where on the page the new translation unit is going to surface.

I cannot afford to spend so much time waiting for transitions and I imagine few translators can. Nor am I prepared to write off the amount I spent on Office 2007 and buy Office 2003.

There are also problems using delete and backspace when in compatibility mode.

I don't think we can say for a minute that this is Microsoft's problem. SDL Trados are a bit player and need to adapt to Microsoft. Surely SDL Trados testing would have identified this problem long ago.

Does anyone else have similar bad experiences?

Has anyone else had these problems
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:17
French to English
+ ...
Just about everyone Oct 22, 2007

Gary Glencross wrote:
Has anyone else had these problems

Or so it seems.
If the Trados 2007/Word 2007 duo was a car, it would have been taken off the road and sent back to the manufacturer as not fit to drive. Owners should be refunded.

BR,

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 and MultiTerm 2007 can not yet be recommended. Oct 22, 2007

Hi Gary

Browse through this forum a little and you will find countless threads about your problem.

In the meantime, many -me included- have gone back to Trados 7.5 and Office 2003 (which would be hard to do for you).

Do contact SDL Support. They are very good at helping, whether you have a support contract or not.

Good luck!

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dear Gary, Oct 22, 2007

Nothing is fully compatible with MS Office 2007 yet, not even MS Office 2000 or MS Office 2003. You would be well advised to set up a dual boot system or VMware system.

Sven Petersson
Medical translator
Web site: www.svenp.com

[Edited at 2007-10-22 21:36]

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Office 2007 and Trados 2007 with Windows XP Oct 23, 2007

Hi,

I may be lucky, because except for a few times when my new computer does not close down correctly, I'm currently working on a new PC with Windows XP Pro, Office 2007 and Trados 2007 and Trados does not work better than the previous version, but it's not worse either.
Maybe that's because I stuck to XP...

Marie-Céline, knocking on wood

ScanTran
ScanTran
Local time: 14:17
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update on my post - Trados 2007 and SDL even more useless than I thought Oct 30, 2007

More than a week later, I have heard absolutely nothing from SDL Trados.

While waiting to hear from them I tried a workaround whereby I translated Word documents using Trados 2007 Tag Editor. This seemed okay because I was not getting the delay between translation units.

However, when I tried to convert the final proofread 15,000 word document to a Word document, I got the message, "Unable to convert to Word document".

I tried to open the bilingual doc.
... See more
More than a week later, I have heard absolutely nothing from SDL Trados.

While waiting to hear from them I tried a workaround whereby I translated Word documents using Trados 2007 Tag Editor. This seemed okay because I was not getting the delay between translation units.

However, when I tried to convert the final proofread 15,000 word document to a Word document, I got the message, "Unable to convert to Word document".

I tried to open the bilingual doc. on my laptop using Trados 6.5 but it wouldn't let me and there are no options in Trados 2007 TagEditor to save the bilingual file in an older format.

Eventually I ended up trying another workaround. I opened up the TM on my main computer on my laptop with Trados 6.5 and went through the original source file again using the Translate to Fuzzy command. It took hours because of the number of tags and, therefore, fuzzy matches, but it worked.

My next step is to revert to Trados 6.5 and an older version of Office. I will contact my credit card company to ask them to cancel the payment to Trados or see what else I can do.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Unable to convert to Word document... Oct 30, 2007

has very probably reasons, which lay in the original document.
Are you able to open the doc in Tageditor, translate one or two sentences and than save as Word again? Most probably not. But if you are, then you have done some Tag changes... most probably again, but your error is not s uncommon and often caused by a missing Tag or bad Word doc structure.

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Trados 2007 useless when used with Word 2007

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »