Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is it possible to combine Trados and Dragon Naturally Speaking?
Thread poster: Ken Fagan (X)
Ken Fagan (X)
Ken Fagan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:52
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
is that based on your RECENT use of both? Oct 24, 2007

Aligning files will certainly be easier with MemoQ than with Wordfast and this seems to be 80% of the problem you initially mentioned.

Is that based on your RECENT use of both MemoQ and Wordfast?

The download size is usually a good measure of the problems in store (Across 3.5 450MB, SDL Trados 2007 276MB, MemoQ 32MB, Wordfast 2MB)

Wordfast is much smaller than MemoQ (32 MB vs 2 MB)... does that mean that WF is that much easier?

Thanks!
... See more
Aligning files will certainly be easier with MemoQ than with Wordfast and this seems to be 80% of the problem you initially mentioned.

The download size is usually a good measure of the problems in store (Across 3.5 450MB, SDL Trados 2007 276MB, MemoQ 32MB, Wordfast 2MB)

Wordfast is much smaller than MemoQ (32 MB vs 2 MB)... does that mean that WF is that much easier?

Thanks!

Ken
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
More on MQ & WF Oct 25, 2007

Ken Fagan wrote:

Er, yes. Why so?

Size isn't everything of course but WF is certainly a model of compactness others could follow! It's a Word template rather than a separate program so I guess it might appear somewhat spartan to those who like gloss and spin.
It certainly has more translation productivity features than Trados and is aimed at the translator rather than a big DTP department. You'd need to read a few pages of the manual to get going though, whereas I'd say MemoQ is really as easy as buying a plane ticket on the Internet (which most computer users can do these days I think). But hey, don't take my word for it, give 'em both and try and see for yourself!

HTH,
Dave

Ken Fagan (X)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
you just sealed the deal Oct 25, 2007

David Turner wrote:

Ken Fagan wrote:

Er, yes. Why so? Just wanted to know if you were comparing recent versions of each (to be fair to both co's/products), since a new version can (sometimes...) make a big diff.

Size isn't everything of course but WF is certainly a model of compactness others could follow! It's a Word template rather than a separate program so I guess it might appear somewhat spartan to those who like gloss and spin.
It certainly has more translation productivity features than Trados and is aimed at the translator rather than a big DTP department. You'd need to read a few pages of the manual to get going though, whereas I'd say MemoQ is really as easy as buying a plane ticket on the Internet (which most computer users can do these days I think). But hey, don't take my word for it, give 'em both and try and see for yourself! I know how to buy a plane ticket on the Internet. You just sealed the deal:)

HTH,
Dave

Ken Fagan (X)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
last question for David Oct 25, 2007

David,

Forgive me, but just to be 1,000 clear: If I buy MemoQ and a client that "pre-translates" all of the files it sends to me using Trados, there will be no compatability problems for my client if I work in those files using MemoQ (which they don't have).

Thanks again. David.

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
MQ ensures Trados compatibility Oct 25, 2007

At present MemoQ ensures compatibility with Trados through TMX for translation memories and TTX (Trados TagEditor) for files.
If they want to send you partly pre-translated files, you should ask for TagEditor bilingual files.
If they want you to use a Trados translation memory, you should ask them to export it as TMX which you then import into MemoQ.
HTH,
David

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Things to come Oct 29, 2007

Ken Fagan wrote:
Forgive me, but just to be 1,000 clear: If I buy MemoQ and a client that "pre-translates" all of the files it sends to me using Trados, there will be no compatability problems for my client if I work in those files using MemoQ (which they don't have).

Closer Trados compatibility is apparently scheduled in version 2.2 (to be released in a few days apparently). I just saw this on the MQ user list:

A summary of what 2.2 will bring:

-- Support of TRADOS bilingual RTF files;

-- Reworked document storage: instead if individual files, MemoQ will store all of a project's segments in an SQL database. This enables MemoQ to handle huge documents (>10,000 segments) more efficiently, and is also needed for:

-- Views. You can create "permanent" views that appear as a separate document under translations and contain segments selected from less than one, one, or more documents. Permanent views can also be exported and imported as bilingual documents. Then you have "dynamic" views, i.e., a filtering and sorting toolbar on top of every translation document;

-- Different handling of whitespace in between segments (enables no loss with split/join, and handling CCJK alphabetic translations correctly);

-- Improved handling of tagged formats (XML, MIF, INX);

-- CCJK languages in the source side: while this is part of 2.2, it will only be enabled in a subsequent build of 2.2, but still before the end of November, due to more internal testing in progress;

-- Full WYSIWYG localization of RESX files.

HTH,
Dave

Ken Fagan (X)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
MemoQ failed 2 Trados compatability tests Oct 29, 2007

thanks, David.

Actually, the first point on your list is thanks to me:), since I was in contact with Istvan the entire weekend to solve the problem, which I believe (but am not 100%) he did. He/his colleagues actually worked on it Sat night!

Having said that, MemoQ just failed another test with one of my agency clients who uses Trados: MemoQ altered certain French accents in the test file, making it totally unfit for those who need to work with clients who use Trados.... See more
thanks, David.

Actually, the first point on your list is thanks to me:), since I was in contact with Istvan the entire weekend to solve the problem, which I believe (but am not 100%) he did. He/his colleagues actually worked on it Sat night!

Having said that, MemoQ just failed another test with one of my agency clients who uses Trados: MemoQ altered certain French accents in the test file, making it totally unfit for those who need to work with clients who use Trados.

So my choice is now between Wordfast & Trados. I really wanted MemoQ to work...
Collapse

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Trados not compatible with itself Oct 29, 2007

Ken Fagan wrote:
Having said that, MemoQ just failed another test with one of my agency clients who uses Trados: MemoQ altered certain French accents in the test file, making it totally unfit for those who need to work with clients who use Trados.

I should check that more closely Ken because that could be a problem of Trados not being compatible with itself from one version to another. If you don't have exactly the same version of Trados as your customer, you're likely to have problems of that type. I've just seen such a case with one of my customers who only uses Trados: the translation memory they sent me was full of French accent problems caused by importing and exporting translation memories from different versions of Trados. Trados' policy seems to be to make each new version incompatible with previous ones to force users to pay for an upgrade.

BR,
David

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
More Trados compatibility Oct 29, 2007

Ken Fagan wrote:

See http://fra.proz.com/topic/82712

David

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
No problems with accents Oct 29, 2007

Ken Fagan wrote:

I would be interested to see your test file(s) because I've tried all sorts of French Trados TTX files with MemoQ and never had any problems with accents.

BR,
David

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
accents problem with v2.2 beta fixed Oct 30, 2007

Hello,

Dave, I think you misunderstood Ken: the file format that caused compatibility problems was not TTX, it was bilingual RTF that is not yet available in a public version. We will only support bilingual RTF in v2.2 due to be released next week, and Ken's file was an early test. We pinpointed and fixed the problem, and we do so with every problem we encounter. I'm very grateful to Ken because his interest in MemoQ made us fix a major issue and I am sure that the released version
... See more
Hello,

Dave, I think you misunderstood Ken: the file format that caused compatibility problems was not TTX, it was bilingual RTF that is not yet available in a public version. We will only support bilingual RTF in v2.2 due to be released next week, and Ken's file was an early test. We pinpointed and fixed the problem, and we do so with every problem we encounter. I'm very grateful to Ken because his interest in MemoQ made us fix a major issue and I am sure that the released version of v2.2 will contain a stable bilingual RTF filter. I hope our beta testers can attest that.

Best regards,
István
Collapse

Ken Fagan (X)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
the version that "failed the test" was a beta version Oct 30, 2007

N.B. the version that "failed the test" was a beta version. Although I understand exactly what that means, I'm still disappointed that it did not work, especially as the file was a simple Word doc. For the time being I would give MemoQ an 'A+' for their very considerable efforts at continued improvement/listening to the customer. Those efforts now need to be reflected in an even better product.

I hope to be able to write a glowing review on MemoQ in the near future.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Re-posted as http://www.proz.com/topic/283094
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to combine Trados and Dragon Naturally Speaking?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »