Thread poster: Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:08
German to English
Oct 24, 2007

Hello all,

I work with TRADOS 2007, language pair GER-ENG. I have set up a termbase which I use when working in SDLX, but I noticed that when the spelling of the German word changes even just a bit from the form I entered in the termbase - such as changing from singular to plural or case form - the termbase will not offer the word when I hit the segment (ex. Vertrag vs. Vertraege vs. Vertrages).

Is there a way to widen the net when using the termbase, such as 'fuzz
... See more
Hello all,

I work with TRADOS 2007, language pair GER-ENG. I have set up a termbase which I use when working in SDLX, but I noticed that when the spelling of the German word changes even just a bit from the form I entered in the termbase - such as changing from singular to plural or case form - the termbase will not offer the word when I hit the segment (ex. Vertrag vs. Vertraege vs. Vertrages).

Is there a way to widen the net when using the termbase, such as 'fuzzy terms' where the termbase will ignore the last three letters or something like that? Otherwise I have to enter the words in every possible form to cover all the possibilities, and that does not seem very practical, particularly in this language pair. I looked at my termbase options but I did not find anything that would allow me to do this, so I am wondering if it is even possible.

Thanks.
Collapse

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:08
English to French
+ ...
Create a TM instead Oct 24, 2007

Hi Brigitte,

this is precisely the reason why I prefer to use a TM, even when I work with a glossary. Setting the concordance match to 50%, you are sure you get all spellings of a same term (even those which are mispelled!).
You can export your termbase into a txt format file and re-import it into an SDLX TM (using the Maintain module). Once this is done, simply open the TM in your SDLX file and use the F7 key to look for concordance matches.
Do not hesitate to contact m
... See more
Hi Brigitte,

this is precisely the reason why I prefer to use a TM, even when I work with a glossary. Setting the concordance match to 50%, you are sure you get all spellings of a same term (even those which are mispelled!).
You can export your termbase into a txt format file and re-import it into an SDLX TM (using the Maintain module). Once this is done, simply open the TM in your SDLX file and use the F7 key to look for concordance matches.
Do not hesitate to contact me through my Proz page should you have any problem or question.
Cheers,

Annelise
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question on Termbase

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »