Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:14
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 25, 2007

Hi all,

Just for my own understanding, I've been trying to chart the different ways to handle Quark files for translation.

This is what I've found out about the Quark versions so far:

Quark under Windows > software that converts to translatable format
3.3 Indesign, Q2ID v1-3
4.1 Indesign, Q2ID v1-3, Trados SC, CopyFlow Gold, XGate 5
5.x Q2ID v1-3, Trados SC, CopyFlow Gold, XGate 5
6.x Q2ID v1-3, Trados SC, CopyFlow Gold, XGate 6
7.x Q2ID v2-3, CopyFlow Gold

Quark under OS9
3.3 Indesign 1.x/2, XGate 5
4.1 SDLXtract, Indesign 1.x/2, CopyFlow Gold, XGate 5
5.x SDLXtract, CopyFlow Gold, XGate 5
6.x n/a
7.x n/a

Quark under OSX
3.3 (For Quark in Classic): Indesign, Q2ID v1-3, XGate 5
4.1 (For Quark in Classic): Indesign, SDLXtract, Q2ID v1-3, XGate 5
5.x (For Quark in Classic): SDLXtract, Q2ID v1-3, XGate 5
6.x SDLXtract, Q2ID v1-3, CopyFlow Gold, XGate 6
7.x Q2ID v2-3, CopyFlow Gold

Cost:
SDLXtract, Trados SC can be downloaded standalone without additional cost (intended for owners of the CAT tool)
XGate can be downloaded without additional cost, but requires Transit license
CopyFlow Gold: trial is fully functional but time limited
InDesign CS3: trial is fully functional but time limited
Q2ID: commercial software only, no trial/demo

CAT compatibility:
SDLXtract requires SDLX or Trados 7.1
Files from Trados SC can also be translated in Deja Vu
XGate requires Transit XV
Of course, Indesign and Q2ID outputs and INDD file, which can be converted to ISC/INX. Not meant for reconverting back to Quark.

From what I've read, the Trados Story Collector for Quark 6.0 doesn't work with Quark 7.

Taken from http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1636&p_created=1137488507&p_sid=h-3q-2Pi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjAmcF9wcm9kcz0xOCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PTEuMTgmcF9jdj0mcF9zY2ZfTGFuZ3VhZ2U9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cXVhcmsgc3RvcnkgY29sbGVjdG9y&p_li=&p_topview=1
---
The TRADOS 7 installation places the following files into a default installation folder: C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T7\FI\QXP or C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T7_FL\FI\QXP depending on the version of TRADOS software you are using.

There are 4 subfolders under the QXP folder: 4.1_E, 4.1_J, 5.0_E, and 6.0_E. Each folder is for the corresponding version of QuarkXpress and “E” stands for English or “J” stands for Japanese version of QuarkXPress.
---
For those of you who upgraded to Trados 8 with the latest SP, have you checked if more versions have been added?

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-10-25 13:13]

[Edited at 2007-10-26 09:17]

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
XGate is not free Oct 25, 2007

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

SDLXtract, Trados SC and XGate can be downloaded without additional cost (intended for owners of the CAT tool)

XGate is password-protected. You need to get the password from your Transit reseller (and you probably won't get it if you haven't purchased Transit license).

W.

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Thanks ! Oct 25, 2007

Hi Jan,
Thanks a lot for this useful overview!

As for Trados, I read in some data sheet on the SDL website that there was no filter for QXP 7 in Trados 2007, but that it was planned. And I can confirm that the Story Collector for QXP 6 doesn't work with version 7...
Marie-Céline

Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks Jan! Oct 26, 2007

Thank you for your great work.
I have tried to install Quark 6.5 and 7.3 to my Windows XP. They are compatibility with each other and can be opened one after another but not at same time. I want to use Trados SC for quarkxpress 6.x to translate quark file and open the translated file with 7.x. Quark 6.x can't support Chinese font input, but Quark 7.x can. Now there is a problem, the translated file can be opened with 6.x and the Chinese characters can be read, but I can’t edit them, because I can’t input Chinese character in 6.x. Although 7.x can input Chinese character, but the translated text can’t be read even I change the font. Could anybody tell me what’s wrong?

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Chinese Quark Oct 26, 2007

Han Li wrote:

I have tried to install Quark 6.5 and 7.3 to my Windows XP.

I want to use Trados SC for quarkxpress 6.x to translate quark file and open the translated file with 7.x. Quark 6.x can't support Chinese font input, but Quark 7.x can. Now there is a problem, the translated file can be opened with 6.x and the Chinese characters can be read, but I can’t edit them, because I can’t input Chinese character in 6.x. Although 7.x can input Chinese character, but the translated text can’t be read even I change the font.

Hi Han and everybody,

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Han, let me see if I understood you correctly:

0. Both of your Quark installations are Western editions (as opposed to Chinese or Passport edition)?!
1. You receive non-Chinese files, created in Quark 7 on Windows.
2. You first open this in Quark 7, and "downsave" it to a Quark 6 file.
3. You open it in Quark 6, get the text with Trados SC, and translate it in TagEditor (which Trados version?)
4. After translation, you open the Chinese file in Quark 7, but the characters are invisible?! Or can you describe more precisely what happened to the characters - are they replaced by garbage chars?

Did you ask Quark support why the chars are not displayed?

If you're running Western Quark 7, this misfeature is expected, because it doesn't support Chinese, AFAIK.
You'd need to buy the special Chinese edition of Quark 7, which however is only released for OSX, and not Windows!
Read more here:
http://euro.quark.com/en/products/xpress/international.html

/Jan

China
English to Chinese
+ ...
I am not sure whether I need a Chinese edition of Quark 7 or not Oct 26, 2007

Hi Jan,
The problem is I need an Xtension for quark 7 to export a file format can be handled with TagEditor or other CAT tools as the function of Trados SC. Both of my Quark installations are English editions. I current haven’t a MAC.
My trados version is 7.5.
In fact, the characters are replaced by garbage chars.
I think there are something wrong with the character coding, i.e. Unicode. The character coding in Quark 6 is not same as Quark 7.
Because I just have imported a text file (Chinese text) into Quark 7, when the code is not Unicode, I only can see garbage chars even I chage the font as one of Chinese Opentype font, after I save the text file as a Unicode text file and import it to Quark 7 again, the Chinese text can display correctly. Do you know how to change the text code in Quark? Is it possible?
I would also to ask help from Quark support later.

Best regards,
Han Li

[Edited at 2007-10-26 14:49]

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Troubleshooting Oct 29, 2007

Han Li wrote:
I think there are something wrong with the character coding, i.e. Unicode. The character coding in Quark 6 is not same as Quark 7.
The problem is I need an Xtension for quark 7 to export a file format can be handled with TagEditor or other CAT tools as the function of Trados SC.

Is this the Xtension you're talking about:
"Can I open an East Asian (2-byte) document in a non-East Asian (1-byte) version of QuarkXPress?

Yes, but only with the use of third party XTensions software. Currently, documents saved in an East Asian (2-byte) version of QuarkXPress cannot be opened directly by non-East Asian (1-byte) versions of QuarkXPress or QuarkXPress Passport. However, there are third party XTensions software, such as MarkzTools available from Markzware, that will let you accomplish this."
From http://www.quark.com/service/desktop/support/techinfo/view.jsp?faq_id=210

Besides, I have another suggestion for troubleshooting:
1. Why don't you download the trial of CopyFlow Gold for Q7 (Win). That way, you can export directly without downsaving to Q6. (If the encoding is different, you should avoid going via Q6 at all cost.)

2. Try translating a section and reimport into Q7. Still garbage chars or not?

One more question: what font type is the garbage chars displayed as? Are they OTF? Did you know that OTF is not supported in Q6!

See this official answer from Quark, another user had the same problem as you:
http://www.quark.com/service/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18293

Maybe you can also post a question on Quark's support forum above?

Another way to troubleshoot:
1. Create a brand new Chinese file in Q6. Enter a few different fonts to compare.
2. Open the file in Q7. Are all fonts still garbage?! Which type of fonts could be successfully transfered? None?

My advice would be:
1. Use CFG for Q7 (to avoid down-conversion)
2. Verify that your Chinese fonts are functional in Q7, and make sure that the source document only points to these fonts.

After troubleshooting, post your results here.

/Jan

China
English to Chinese
+ ...
I have tried many ways…… Oct 29, 2007

But they can’t work……
I have tried Atomik XML Publisher, I exported the QXP file as XML format, but it’s not good enough to export English content correctly, there are so many English words errors. So I give up this software.
I have tried Xtags Xtension for Quark 7, but it can’t export all of the text at the same time, I have to select the text box one by one to export them, I give up it, too.
I just have tested the way as you said to create a brand new Chinese file in Q6, and get text from an external file (it only can be get Chinese characters form this way, we can’t input Chinese characters in QX 6 directly.) Open the file in Q7, it still garbage!
The Copyflow Gold for Quark seems a good solution to export Quark file as the file format that Trados can handle with. But after translation and re-import the file to QX7, it still garbage! Gold!
I also find a Quick Reference Guide in NAPS website. It’s on how to translate English QXP documents into double-byte languages such as Chinese and Japanese with QXP7. The link is in the following: http://www.napsys.com/Special%20Translation.pdf. But the guide is only tested in MAC OS; I find it can’t work in Windows OS. I still get the garbage.
Thanks for the domo version software, I am not waste my money.
Thank you for your great help. I am afraid I currently have to abandon to translate Quark file in my Windows system.

the3gwireless
English to Chinese
Copyflow Gold for Quark works but it will change the layout of Localized Quark file Oct 30, 2007

I tried yesterday (English - Chinese) and there are no any garbled characters issues but the layout of localized Quark file will be changed.
As a result, It will involved in lots of DTP works and just like a nightmare.

Does anyone know how to avoid changing the layout by using Copyflow Glod?

Thanks

China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Which Quark edition do you use? Oct 30, 2007

the3gwireless wrote:

I tried yesterday (English - Chinese) and there are no any garbled characters issues but the layout of localized Quark file will be changed.
As a result, It will involved in lots of DTP works and just like a nightmare.

Does anyone know how to avoid changing the layout by using Copyflow Glod?

Thanks

Are you sure there is no garbage in the re-imported QXP file? In my case, there is no layout changed.

the3gwireless
English to Chinese
Yes I am sure Oct 30, 2007

You have to exactly follow the instructions in "Special Translation.pdf", I guess the reason why you get the garbled characters is you are using the windows version.

I was using a Mac when I did the test.

Sam

China
English to Chinese
+ ...
I see…… Oct 30, 2007

the3gwireless wrote:

You have to exactly follow the instructions in "Special Translation.pdf", I guess the reason why you get the garbled characters is you are using the windows version.

I was using a Mac when I did the test.

Sam

Thanks! So the imported QXP file can't be display correctly in Windows.

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Post your question on the Quark forum too Oct 30, 2007

Hi Han,

Why don't you post the same question on the Quark forum.
There is even Asian support staff that volunteer to troubleshoot your files if you PM them.

Read this call for assistance:
http://www.quark.com/service/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17255&highlight=chinese

After you've received help there, please get back here and tell us the outcome!

/Jan

the3gwireless
English to Chinese
I am not sure about that Oct 30, 2007

I can change the encoding to Windows 1252 in Mac version.
but there is no this option in Windows version.
Maybe it's the reason.

Sam

China
English to Chinese
+ ...
I would ask help form Quark and NAPS Oct 30, 2007

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

Hi Han,

Why don't you post the same question on the Quark forum.
There is even Asian support staff that volunteer to troubleshoot your files if you PM them.

Read this call for assistance:
http://www.quark.com/service/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17255&highlight=chinese

After you've received help there, please get back here and tell us the outcome!

/Jan

Thanks Jan.
If I get any answer, I would post here.

the3gwireless wrote:

I can change the encoding to Windows 1252 in Mac version.
but there is no this option in Windows version.
Maybe it's the reason.
Sam

Hi Sam,
I also can change the encoding to Windows 1252 in Windows version. The problem is there is no encoding option in the CopyFlow Gold Preference pane corresponding to Simp. Chinese (GB2312).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QuarkXpress overview: all versions and plugins

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search