Import finished successfully, but no TUs added
Thread poster: Quattro
Quattro
United States
Local time: 22:10
Oct 25, 2007

I am trying to import a txt file, which I have had no problems with before in Trados 2006. Now I am using Trados 2007 and upon importing a TM export file, Workbench tells me that "Import finished successfully, 5000 TUs read in 10 seconds" and "0 updated, 0 added, 0 invalid". The txt file is approx. 8 MB.

What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Language version? Oct 25, 2007

I have this problem sometimes if, for instance, my TM is for U.S. English to European Spanish, and the text file is coded as U.S. English to Modern-Sort Spanish.

If they don't match, I have to open the text file in a text editor and batch-replace the language codes.

Could this be a similar situation?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Quattro
United States
Local time: 22:10
TOPIC STARTER
Batch-replace? Oct 26, 2007

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your post. I'm not sure what you mean by batch-replace? I checked the txt file in Notepad. My TM is for US English, the TM export from the client is UK English, but I have received exports from this client before, also UK English, where TUs were added successfully.

I then tried to import the txt file using Trados 2006 (my TM was created in the 2006 version) and here it said that 3 TUs were added. I'm sharing my current project with another translator and I would just think that there would be more than 3 new TUs...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Batch-replace, step by step Oct 26, 2007

Marie-Louise Halvorsen wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by batch-replace? I checked the txt file in Notepad. My TM is for US English, the TM export from the client is UK English, but I have received exports from this client before, also UK English, where TUs were added successfully.


In this case, you can do as follows, step by step:

1) Make a copy of the export (TXT) file, just in case,
2) Open the TXT file in MS Word,
3) In MS Word, click Edit > Search,
4) In the "Search and replace" screen, click the "Replace" tab,
5) In the "Search" textbox, enter the code for UK English ("Seg L=EN-GB"),
6) In the "Replace with" textbox, entre the code for US English ("Seg L=EN-US"),
7) Click the "Replace all" button (Then you'll see how all "Seg L=EN-GB" turn into "Seg L=EN-US", ie, all the tags for UK English TM turn into US English) - This is a "Batch replace"
8) Save the changes
9) Import this TXT file to Trados Translator's Workbench as usual

This should do the trick. Please let us know if it works.

I hope this helps,
Jerónimo

[Edited at 2007-10-26 14:42]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Batch-replace Oct 26, 2007

Marie-Louise Halvorsen wrote:
Thank you for your post. I'm not sure what you mean by batch-replace?


Sorry, I occasionally lapse into "Geek-speak."

In this case, it means doing a ''find and replace-all'' of the language code. Most text editors and word processors offer this feature.

Technically, a batch-replace is a feature that lets you make such replacements in multiple text files at once, but it sounds like you're only working with one file at a time.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Quattro
United States
Local time: 22:10
TOPIC STARTER
All TUs invalid Oct 28, 2007

Jerónimo,

Thank you for your step-by-step guide to batch-replace. I tried it, but the result was that all the TUs became invalid. So I figure there must have been only 3 new segments after all. I let the client know and they had no comments, so as long as the TM is working, I will leave it alone.

I will keep batch-replace in mind, though, in case I encounter this issue again in the future.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Quattro
United States
Local time: 22:10
TOPIC STARTER
No worries Oct 28, 2007

Steven,

Thank you for your input. I thought that might be what you meant, but wasn't sure. You are right, I am only working with one file. I use the "find-and-replace" feature a lot for editing/revising my translation as I go along. It's a great tool!


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import finished successfully, but no TUs added

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search