Problems with counter "entry number" in MultiTerm
Thread poster: xxxForest
xxxForest
French to German
Oct 26, 2007

Dear colleagues,

using MultiTerm 7.0, I recently faced a problem that I have to solve soon. Whenever I decided to scratch an entry which has been saved before, the counter of "entry number" goes on and ignores that I removed an entry. For instance, if I decide to remove entry number 12 so that 11 entries remain, it goes on counting with "entry 13", as soon as I have saved the next one. That means that there isn't a "12" anymore.

Since this is an important project of mine for the university, I have to solve this problem. All entries are going to be printed including their entry number, and that is why I need to know how I the counter can be corrected. Is there any possibility?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's the way it's supposed to work Oct 26, 2007

MultiTerm runs on a Microsoft Access database. It has a "counter" field that assigns a unique number to every record that is created. This number is used internally by the program to link related pieces of data to each other. If you delete a record, that number is gone and cannot be reused.

It hardly matters from the user's standpoint, since the number is for the program's internal use, but some end-users seem to find it upsetting. That's why when I program databases, I usually hide the record number so the user never sees it.

[Edited at 2007-10-26 17:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with counter "entry number" in MultiTerm

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search