Thread poster: Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 2, 2007

I sometimes need to send a text to a non-Trados user for translation or proof-reading. I usually segment the text, in different colors, and ask her to touch only the target text. The problem is, the layout is not very clear for her to read, with all the space dots visible between each word, also she will sometimes inadvertently alter one of the tags (even with tag protection on), being unfamiliar with how Trados works. Is there any way to generate a text, with the source text and target text... See more
I sometimes need to send a text to a non-Trados user for translation or proof-reading. I usually segment the text, in different colors, and ask her to touch only the target text. The problem is, the layout is not very clear for her to read, with all the space dots visible between each word, also she will sometimes inadvertently alter one of the tags (even with tag protection on), being unfamiliar with how Trados works. Is there any way to generate a text, with the source text and target text visible, which would avoid these two problems? Hiding the source code doen't work, as it leads to more corrupted Trados codes.

Fiona
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:24
English to French
Display (View?) tab in Options menu Nov 2, 2007

There you can show hidden text and hide formatting caracters (tabs, spaces, line breaks, etc.), using the check boxes provided. This will not prevent usrs from deleting tags, but may make the rereading easier.
I agree that rereading with all the hiddent text shown is painful.
Philippe

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Idea from a non-Trados user Nov 2, 2007

Fiona Robson wrote:
The problem is, the layout is not very clear for her to read, with all the space dots visible between each word, also she will sometimes inadvertently alter one of the tags (even with tag protection on), being unfamiliar with how Trados works.

Somehow convert the text into a table in MS Word with two columns. Put the source text segments in the left column. Tell him to put the translation in the right column. Tell him not to merge or split cells. When you get it back, do find/replace in MS Word to convert it to an uncleaned file. Then do "cleanup" of that file in Trados, which will add the segments to your memory.

Let us know if you don't know how to (a) convert your text to a table and (b) convert your table to an uncleaned file.

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your suggestions Nov 2, 2007

Thank you for your suggestions. Philippe, as you say hiding the formatting would at least make the text clearer, I'll try that.

Samuel, your suggestion sounds like it might be a definitive solution. Yes, please could you tell me how to convert the text into a table. Getting it back into the TM I could probably manage with a bit of fiddling about, but what's the best way to do it?

Fiona

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 20:24
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
What you need is Plustoyz Nov 2, 2007

This nice collection of macros will do the trick of converting from TRADOS segmented text to Word table, and back.

You can download it from http://syntax.webline.pl/plustoyz.html

Saludos

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, PlusToyz will work Nov 2, 2007

Jorge Payan wrote:
This nice collection of macros will do the trick of converting from TRADOS segmented text to Word table, and back.

I've just tried version 3.

To convert to table, double-click the link that reads "Trados-like segmented text to Word table". To convert back to unclean file, double-click the link that reads "Word table to Trados-like segmented text ".

Warning: It overwrites the original file!!! (so make a copy first, if you won't want to lose the file)

Warning 2: Converting unclean -> table -> unclean isn't lossless -- the formatting of the original file isn't preserved (but that doesn't matter for us, because the idea is that you do a cleanup on the final unclean file so that the text is added to your TM).

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Tableview! Nov 2, 2007

Hey Fiona and all,

Hidden deep in the menus under TagEditor is a gem: the Tableview plugin!

This will display the table (with nice colour coded fuzzies and 100% matches) as a html page in your browser.

You can then create a neat PDF with the help of Acrobat, and the proofreader can paste his comments as stickies in Reader.

So easy to use, and fool-proof!

/Jan

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TagEditor Tableview plugin Nov 2, 2007

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

Hey Fiona and all,

Hidden deep in the menus under TagEditor is a gem: the Tableview plugin!

Hi Jan,

would you mind telling exactly where does it hide? I have looked everywhere for it and cannot find it anywhere...

Many thanks in advance!

Gilda

Stressed
Stressed
English
TagEditor Tableview plugin: here Nov 2, 2007

Hi Gilda,

in TagEditor, go to Tools -> Plug-ins -> TagEditor Plug-ins: TRADOStag Viewer Plug-in -> Properties -> select Stylesheet Tableview ->OK.

Then select bilingual preview - et voilà.

Thanks, Jan, for your suggestion, and Jorge, I'll check out PlusToyz, too.

Have a nice weekend everybody,
Camilla

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
thanks! Nov 2, 2007

thank you very much, I will certainly make use of it!

Gilda

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Align source and target Nov 3, 2007

Fiona Robson wrote:

I sometimes need to send a text to a non-Trados user for translation or proof-reading. I usually segment the text, in different colors, and ask her to touch only the target text. The problem is, the layout is not very clear for her to read, with all the space dots visible between each word, also she will sometimes inadvertently alter one of the tags (even with tag protection on), being unfamiliar with how Trados works. Is there any way to generate a text, with the source text and target text visible, which would avoid these two problems? Hiding the source code doen't work, as it leads to more corrupted Trados codes.
Fiona

If it's a translation job, why don't you just align the source and target afterwards? Would save you both a lot of work. It must be gastly for the non-Trados user. They will certainly end up hating Trados.
BR,
David

[Edited at 2007-11-03 11:21]

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, and various questions Nov 3, 2007

Jorge/Samuel - I tried downloading the PlusToyz but all I an see is an empty word file and a 'readme' file. How do I get it to work as a macro (I don't know anything about using macros by the way).

Samuel - did you have another method for converting text to table, and back, other than PlusToyz?

Jan - does the TagEditor Tableview plugin work if the person doesn't have TagEditor? I mean, does it generate a file that can be viewed even though she doesn't have Trados?
... See more
Jorge/Samuel - I tried downloading the PlusToyz but all I an see is an empty word file and a 'readme' file. How do I get it to work as a macro (I don't know anything about using macros by the way).

Samuel - did you have another method for converting text to table, and back, other than PlusToyz?

Jan - does the TagEditor Tableview plugin work if the person doesn't have TagEditor? I mean, does it generate a file that can be viewed even though she doesn't have Trados?

David - you are quite right, of course - and name experts do say that David's are the salt-of-earth, down-to-basics types:). For a translation, I suppose that would be the easiest thing, although for an editing job, she rather likes having the source text next to the target text. I find Winalign so fiddly, with so many steps to create a file then export it into Trados - and all that joining and splitting of segments, sometimes it dosn't seem worth it.

Out of interest, what methods to people use, other than CAT tools, for visualizing the two texts side-by-side (what if it's a pdf for example). A split screen? printing the source text? anything else I hadn't thought of? My son recently set up his computer next to mine for his games - and I find the extra monitor very useful sometimes!

Fiona
Collapse

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Macro Nov 3, 2007

I found a macro to do exactly that - to show source and target text in a table in the TW group under Yahoo. Check the link and find " Two-column printout of Trados translations.zip "

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/files/Macros/Macros%20from%20Users/

I haven't installed it yet, so I don't know how it works, but it looks
... See more
I found a macro to do exactly that - to show source and target text in a table in the TW group under Yahoo. Check the link and find " Two-column printout of Trados translations.zip "

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/files/Macros/Macros%20from%20Users/

I haven't installed it yet, so I don't know how it works, but it looks convincing, so you could check it out. Instructions on how to install it in the zip file.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Other methods than PlusToyz... Nov 5, 2007

Fiona Robson wrote:
Jorge/Samuel - I tried downloading the PlusToyz but all I an see is an empty word file and a 'readme' file.

The MS Word file might only display text if you have set your macro security to "low". In my version of MS Word, it is on the menus Tools -> Macro -> Security.

I would have written my own macro, and it would have been far less easy to use than PlusToyz. Also I had hoped that someone might pipe up with the name of an existing macro that can do it

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 5, 2007

Thanks Mette and Samuel, I'll try out your suggestions.

Fiona

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Giving a text to a translator who does not use Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »