Problems with clean up
Thread poster: alessandra bocco

alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:11
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 5, 2007

I have a problem concerning Trados clean up. When I clean up a file, everything seems to be working (no error message appears) but there is no cleaned file at the end of the process! Only a .BAK bilingual file is created... the cleaned file is nowhere! It never happend before, so I don't understand what it's going on. Any ideas? Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:11
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
I have the same problem... Nov 6, 2007

...and I have been told that it may be a permissions issue - trados cannot see the folder where the filters are because the person who installed the software did not have administrator status - this is Chinese to me.

Haven't solved it yet and work is pressing.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just forget about the cleanup in Workbench Nov 6, 2007

and run the cleanup in Word.
To do so, open the billingual file in Word. Save it under a new name (ie *-cleaned.doc). Press ALT+F8. In the field with "Macro name" put "tw", select the macro called "TW4winclean.main" and then click "Execute".
Your document will be cleaned up and will not disappear.

Please bear in mind, that this process does not update your TM!
If TMM update is needed, take a copy of unclened file and clean it up against your TM. Don't forget to keep a copy of your billingual file for cleanup in Word.

Jerzy

Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Nov 6, 2007

It worked perfectly...thank you very much! Do you have any ideas why Trados clean up doesn't work anymore?
How do I "clean up the file against my TM", if I have to update the TM?
Thanks

Christine Schmit  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
reinstall Trados Nov 6, 2007

I had the same problem last week, plus some issues with term recognition. So I reinstalled Trados and everything is working fine again.
Good luck,

Christine

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The reason is mostly Word file itself Nov 6, 2007

So nothing you can change with reinstalling Trados.
"Cleaning against TM" means that, what you've already done.
As the Word macro does not update the TM, any changes you made in your text after it has been translated with Workbench would not be included in your TM. To update the TM to the last version of your document, you need to have two copies of the document: one for cleanup in Word, which will then be delivered to the customer, and another copy, which you will cleanup in usual way in Workbench. This will than most probably disappear after cleanup - as it did now - but this is not a problem, as this is only a copy of your file. What I usually do are 3 copies: one is left uncleaned, one is cleaned in Word and the last one is cleaned in Workbench. The last one can be then deleted after you're finished.

HTH
Jerzy

Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very good idea Nov 6, 2007

That's what I'll do... Although I still don't understand why everything was working fine until last week!

Christine Schmit  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
problems with clean up Nov 6, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

So nothing you can change with reinstalling Trados.

Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,
You are right that the problem is mostly in the Word file itself and in that case, the macro in Word is a great workaround, but what if the problem is not only with one Word document but with every single document you try to clean up? That is exactly the problem I had last week. Then it can't be just the Word file itself, there must be another problem with Trados, I guess. You can't go on using the macro instead of a proper clean-up forever. For me, reinstalling worked, but I would be curious to know where the problem comes from if it is not just one Word file but a persistent problem.

Christine

sabina moscatelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Wonderful Nov 6, 2007

I had the same problem, too, but thought it was due to my new Vista! Thanks a lot. You're a genius to my eyes.

Ledja  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:11
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Wordfast worked for me Nov 6, 2007

I am new to Trados and felt utterly alarmed when my translated file wouldn't clean up. It happened exactly like Alessandra describes it. Out of sheer desperation, I tried cleaning up with Wordfast, which I still have installed and running, and it worked perfectly!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Wordfast is no difference to Word macro Nov 6, 2007

as it also does not update your TM.

This is what shall be always taken into accout, when cleanup problems occur.

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with clean up

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search