Problems cleaning up excel files in TagEditor
Thread poster: Brigitte Hamilton

Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:45
Member (2007)
German to English
Nov 8, 2007

I received an xlt.ttx file from the client, for translation in TAgEditor. There are no problems with the file, except when I try to clean it up (either 'save target as' or using the clean up function in workbench).

The error message in workbench simply says - server application error, unable to case COM object of type

whereas trying to save it in target in TagEditor produces the following message:

connection with server application error: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System,_ComObject' to interface type 'Trados.Interop.Excel.Worksheet'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID (bunch of numbers) . failed du to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

I use Trados 2007 and Excel 2007.

Can anyone help, thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:45
Member (2005)
English to Czech
I think... Nov 8, 2007

...you got to have the original excel files in the same directory as the ttx files in order to use "save target as"

cheers,
pavel

Canada
Member (2007)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I do... Nov 8, 2007

... have them in the same folder (contains source files and translated files), so there should not be any issue there, I think.

Pavel Blann wrote:

...you got to have the original excel files in the same directory as the ttx files in order to use "save target as"

cheers,
pavel

jmadsen  Identity Verified
In my experience... Nov 8, 2007

it is important that you have the original and unedited excel files in the folder. If you edit the files manually and save them after having started the translation, Trados will not be able to clean up the files properly.

I may be wrong, but that's my best shot

Canada
Member (2007)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
... Nov 8, 2007

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

it is important that you have the original and unedited excel files in the folder. If you edit the files manually and save them after having started the translation, Trados will not be able to clean up the files properly.

I may be wrong, but that's my best shot

Hi Jorgen - I was supplied with the original xlt file and xlt.ttx file by the client, and they are all in the same folder as the edited files (which are saved under different names but same extensions obviously). I am also working with their TM. Not sure what else I could be doing to ensure everything is in sync.....

[Edited at 2007-11-08 21:45]

Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
well... Nov 10, 2007

I do have them in the same folder (contains source files and translated files), so there should not be any issue there, I think.

...you can try putting the original xls file in another directory, open it in tageditor, save as ttx, autotranslate, and save target as xls.

if the problem persists pls report it as a bug to sdl.

good luck,
pavel

Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
also... Nov 10, 2007

I was supplied with the original xlt file and xlt.ttx file by the client, and they are all in the same folder as the edited files (which are saved under different names but same extensions obviously). I am also working with their TM. Not sure what else I could be doing to ensure everything is in sync.....

...I noticed your answer to jørgen: you should have source files in one directory and target files with exactly the same names in another directory. do not rename files when working with xlt - ttx pairs in the tageditor.

[Upraveno: 2007-11-10 11:12]

Canada
Member (2007)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Pavel... Nov 16, 2007

...you were right, I did not save them with exactly the same names. I am glad you pointed it out, as I likely would not have figured that out.:smile:

Thanks to everyone for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems cleaning up excel files in TagEditor

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search