Thread poster: Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
Local time: 23:35
German to French
+ ...
Nov 14, 2007

I want to create a TM with some translations I made for a customer.
(I can't use my own TM since it contains other stuff I don't want/I can't give to other people, so I need to create a new TM with only those 500 files).

I have the 500 .BAK files ready in one folder. I tried to clean them up in the new TM, but it doesn't work, I get an error message ("50204 - XConvert could not process").

How can I convert all these .BAK files in .doc files automatically (I'm not
... See more
(I can't use my own TM since it contains other stuff I don't want/I can't give to other people, so I need to create a new TM with only those 500 files).

I have the 500 .BAK files ready in one folder. I tried to clean them up in the new TM, but it doesn't work, I get an error message ("50204 - XConvert could not process").

How can I convert all these .BAK files in .doc files automatically (I'm not going to change it manually for 500 files)? Or how can I directly clean up .BAK files?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I work with Trados 7.5.0.759

[Modifié le 2007-11-14 20:26]
Collapse

Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
Error message Nov 14, 2007

This error message seems to be discussed here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/42012

Best regards,
Cecilia

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:35
Spanish to French
+ ...
you need rtf or doc files Nov 14, 2007

Open the command prompt (Start>Run... and then enter cmd). In the command prompt, browse to the folder containing your files and then type ren *.bak *.doc. This command will change the extension of all your bak files (provided they are in the same folder) to doc. Then you can batch process them.
You might want to delete the target doc files first (if they are in this folder).

Hope this helps,
Nicolas

[Modifié le 2007-11-14 13:49]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Use DOS-command? Nov 14, 2007

There is a command-window in Windows, where you can execute DOS-commands, like rename *.bak into *.doc. But it has been a long time since I used any, look for DOS in Google.
Cheers
Heinrich

Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 14, 2007

Thanks a lot, that's what I was looking for.
But now, I don't know how to browse to the folder containing the files...
When I open the command prompt, it says C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Benutzername>
What should I type if I have the files in a folder named "Customer" on C:?

Sorry for the basic question!

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
filtered export Nov 14, 2007

Perigaut wrote:

Roughly:
In TWB/File/Export: select 'Created on' under system fields and enter the date you began translation (there's a "is larger than" >)
Maybe you'll need to fune-tune this a bit. There's a 'Changed on' field, and an OR button you can use. Press the OR after you've done your first field (not after second).
You can import the export.txt into your client's TM.
Ready. No bothering with DOS prompts.

Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but filtered export won't work in my case,... Nov 14, 2007

... I've translated these files over a few years.

I actually use the filter feature in Trados, but this time I need just certain files to be in that TM, not all the files I've translated under the name of that customer.

Really, the only (or most simple) way is to make a new TM using the backup-files I've already picked and put together in that folder.

I just need help for the DOS prompts...

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
dos Nov 14, 2007

You can change the directory by the cd command. CD F:\ will move you to item F:
I would put a memory card into the computer or cardreader, copy you files there and then execute (if the memory card is in F:) ren F:\*.bak *.doc
But be careful not to execute any format C: -commands

Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ça marche! Nov 14, 2007

It didn't work with the memory card for some reason, cmd never wanted to go to that drive, but I finally managed with your help to browse to the right folder on the hard drive...

Thanks a lot everybody, it worked and it's exactly what I needed, I have my TM now!

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:35
Spanish to French
+ ...
bravo ! Nov 14, 2007

To change the drive:
(for instance, to go to the D drive) type "D:" and Enter
CD (change directory) only moves you from one folder to another (on the same drive)

Perigaut wrote:

It didn't work with the memory card for some reason, cmd never wanted to go to that drive, but I finally managed with your help to browse to the right folder on the hard drive...

Thanks a lot everybody, it worked and it's exactly what I needed, I have my TM now!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How create a new TM using .bak files?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »