Thread poster: michiko tsumura

michiko tsumura  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:09
Member (2006)
English to Japanese
Nov 16, 2007

Hi,

I recently installed Trados 2007 Freelancer. After I manually copied template "Trados8.dotm" on to the Word startup folder, whenever I open Word, I get this error message "run-time error '5995'. Word cannot write to file".

Choices given are, end, debug or help. I choose "End" and I can work on Word as usual. But when I close Word, it keeps asking me if I want to save the change to Trados. What change? I've tried "debug" button once but I'm not sure what it did. It may be something to do with Macro.

Does anyone know what the "run-time error 5995" means? Should I save the change?

Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Haiyang Ai  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:09
English to Chinese
+ ...
Template Issue. Nov 16, 2007

I guess this problem has something to do with the template. You may check this url for more information about Word error 5995:

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Word/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/2004-06/1129.html

>-----Original Message-----
>Search for the file officeav.dll and rename it to
>oldofficeav.old and restart the computer.
>
>Microsoft knowledge base article 329820

English-Chinese Translator
www.chineservice.com

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Danish to English
+ ...
run time error Nov 17, 2007

Your word template might need to be rereshed.
These are the steps to take in the English version of Microsoft:
Click on:
my computer (on your desktop)
file name: local disc c:\
file name: documents and setting
file name: your name
file name: application date
file name: Microsoft
file name: template

steps are f. ex. C:\Documents and Settings\----------(your name here)\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

In template you will find the template "normal". Rename that to "normal.old" and close the files. Word will initiate a new "normal" when it opens.

If you have installed Trados correctly, you will now have a new clean word template.

michiko tsumura  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! Nov 19, 2007

Thank you, Blangsted and Haiyang. Sounds like "rename"ing a file is the way to go. I've been trying to locate the startup file, I know it's there somewhere because I've seen it before but haven't been able to find it yet. I don't know why it's not there... But I think I can manage it now that I know where to start. Thank you very much both of you!

Michiko

Lynn Webb  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:09
Member (2009)
German to English
Move Trados templates and make them inactive add-ins Dec 31, 2008

If you are still having problems with the template, check out the workaround I provided here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/102029-save_changes_in_trados8.html. Even replacing the Trados templates from the Trados directory didn't work to fix the error message I kept getting until I removed the files from STARTUP and copied new ones into the location mentioned in my other response above. Good luck!

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:09
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
That period. Apr 3, 2009

Lynn, your link points to a general directory because it has a final period. I removed the point so we can reach it properly:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/102029-save_changes_in_trados8.html

Thank you for the info!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Run-time error 5995 when open Word

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search