https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/89936-cant_open_ppt_files_in_tageditor.html

Can't open .ppt files in TagEditor
Thread poster: Leire Berasaluze
Leire Berasaluze
Leire Berasaluze  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 21, 2007

I can not open a Power Point file with TagEditor, but I know it Should be opened.
Does anybody know what could be the problem?
The message that appears tells me that it doesn't recognize the file.

Thank you

Leire

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
common problem Nov 21, 2007

Hello Leire
I think it is a common problem. Yesterday I was asked to do a rush job on a PPT and TagEditor (which to be honest usually remains idle as I usually work on DOC files with Workbench) hung each time I tried to open a PPT file - no message, no indication of the file being in the right format or otherwise.

I wonder if there are some parameters which occasional users of TagEditor like me are not sufficiently aware of.

I shall cross my fingers that the solut
... See more
Hello Leire
I think it is a common problem. Yesterday I was asked to do a rush job on a PPT and TagEditor (which to be honest usually remains idle as I usually work on DOC files with Workbench) hung each time I tried to open a PPT file - no message, no indication of the file being in the right format or otherwise.

I wonder if there are some parameters which occasional users of TagEditor like me are not sufficiently aware of.

I shall cross my fingers that the solution our colleagues suggest might work for both of us

Anthony
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
hi! Nov 21, 2007

There`s not much we can do if you don´t tell us which PPT and which TagEditor version.
Regards,
Marina

Leire Berasaluze
Leire Berasaluze  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Sorry! Nov 21, 2007

Sorry, it's SDL Trados 2007 and the file is Power Point 2003.
I hope this helps!

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Error message? Nov 21, 2007

Leire Berasaluze wrote:

Sorry, it's SDL Trados 2007 and the file is Power Point 2003.
I hope this helps!

Does the error message say that there is something wrong with an xml configuration file? If so, you must get a fix from customer support.

HTH

Piotr

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Client has locked/disabled editing Nov 22, 2007

Leire Berasaluze wrote:

I can not open a Power Point file with TagEditor, but I know it Should be opened.
Does anybody know what could be the problem?
The message that appears tells me that it doesn't recognize the file.

Thank you

Leire

Hi Leire,

A common problem with PPT files is that the client is "too smart for his own good".

You know, there is a function in Powerpoint, where you can strip all font information from the file, to make it smaller. At the same time, this will disable all editing, since the font info is simply no longer there.

In addition to that, the client might have password protected that particular option, so even if you have the same fonts on your computer, you wouldn't be able to reapply them.

Very annoying, but it happened to me several times. If that's the case, you must insist that the client goes back to the original file and save it as a full copy for you.

It coould also be a case of incompatibility, if the original file from the client is from a different version of Powerpoint. This was discussed earlier, and we found out there is a patch on Microsoft.com which solves the problem.

See the thread here, and some solutions that came up:
http://www.proz.com/post/637225#637225

Best,

Jan

[Edited at 2007-11-22 08:30]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open .ppt files in TagEditor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »