Translator’s Workbench Import Format or Translation Memory Exchange Format (TMX):?
Thread poster: Neil Barnes
Neil Barnes
Neil Barnes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 22, 2007

I am preparing previous translations for TM, using WinAlign, and would like to know whether Translator’s Workbench Import Format or Translation Memory Exchange Format (TMX) would be the most useful format for exporting the alignment results.

I would like to choose the most useful format for using this new memory in the future, with new translations, and working with Trados files sent to me by agencies.

Could anyone recommend which of the 2 formats would be most usefu
... See more
I am preparing previous translations for TM, using WinAlign, and would like to know whether Translator’s Workbench Import Format or Translation Memory Exchange Format (TMX) would be the most useful format for exporting the alignment results.

I would like to choose the most useful format for using this new memory in the future, with new translations, and working with Trados files sent to me by agencies.

Could anyone recommend which of the 2 formats would be most useful for this purpose?

Thanks.
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:20
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Only txt (AFAIK) Nov 22, 2007

Hi Neil,

whenever I use WinAlign to create a new TM or feed an existing one, I always export in *.txt and I am not aware of any *.tmx export format for alignments (available as an option when exporting translation units from TWB). I wouldn't want to use that format either - never do when exporting from TWB, too, as it created me some problems in the past, esp. with diacritics.

Giuliana

Neil Barnes
Neil Barnes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 22, 2007

Thanks Giuliana that is a great help - I have saved it as .txt.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:20
English to Polish
+ ...
TMX will also work Nov 22, 2007

Neil Barnes wrote:

Thanks Giuliana that is a great help - I have saved it as .txt.

well, unless you have a very old version of Trados.

For some reasons TMX is better because it is an open standard, maintainened by a consortium (www.lisa.org/tmx/) while Trados txt export/import format is a proprietary format which the vendor can change at will.

Actually there are two flavors of the txt import/export format, one is for version 7 or later of Trados, and the other is for the pre-7 versions. This can cause problems, if you are not careful.

HTH

Piotr

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:20
English to French
TMX Nov 23, 2007

Hi Neil,

TMX, definitely!

If you export using the Trados proprietary TXT format, you'll be able to use these aligned texts with... Trados.

If you export using TMX, you'll be able to use them with any CAT tools (Trados included). So why close yourself to future opportunities?

Denis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator’s Workbench Import Format or Translation Memory Exchange Format (TMX):?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »