Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:50
German to English
Nov 23, 2007

Hi!
I have just finished the last PPT file in a large project and it wont convert back from tageditor to powerpoint
The error message says: 'autoshape' has no translatable items. I am working in Trados 2007 and Powerpoint in Office XP.
Thanks for any help you can offer - I really don't want to redo it by hand.
Gillian

[Edited at 2007-11-23 06:59]

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
Similar problem Nov 23, 2007

I'm translating with Tageditor on a PowerPoint file. And I have noted a similar problem. TagEditor gives me a messagebox saying that if failed creating PowerPoint Paragraph Identifier. When I finished translation, I can't save as PowerPoint(ppt) file at all. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Haiyang

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 03:50
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
re-translating Nov 23, 2007

Keep in mind, you have it all in the TM, you do not need to start from scratch. When I was stuck this way, it helped to go back to the source file, throw out some exotic elements (maybe it's an empty text box in your case) and then retranslate.

What you have eliminated, can be added later to the target document.

To locate, what's bugging the TagEditor, you can cut up the source in several pieces and proceed say from four quarters instead of one single source.
... See more
Keep in mind, you have it all in the TM, you do not need to start from scratch. When I was stuck this way, it helped to go back to the source file, throw out some exotic elements (maybe it's an empty text box in your case) and then retranslate.

What you have eliminated, can be added later to the target document.

To locate, what's bugging the TagEditor, you can cut up the source in several pieces and proceed say from four quarters instead of one single source.

Regards

Vito

[Urejeno ob 2007-11-23 07:36]
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:50
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Vito Nov 23, 2007

The workaround did work. I had to put the 40 slides back together and translate the last 5 manually but I still don't know what upset Trados and why. Granted the doc was complicated but that's not really an excuse.
Gillian

Thomas Deschington
Thomas Deschington
Poland
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Or use SLDX Jan 16, 2008

I had the same problem *today* and got a little nervous. But I opened the source file in SDLX instead, used the same TM, and voila! A few changes had to be made, but worked fine.

All in all, I recommend SDLX over Trados. Easier user interface, one program, not two, everything is divided into lines so you get a good feeling of how much is left, etc.

Jens Schmiedel
Jens Schmiedel
English to German
+ ...
no empty target segments Jan 28, 2008

I also had the same problem today. But then, I remembered that it's not possible to leave a target segment empty. And a target segment which is only a SPACE is considered empty by TRADOS. As was the case in my ttx file. I entered some dummy text into the segment that I wanted to leave blank, and all worked fine.

Jens

[Bearbeitet am 2008-01-28 15:59]

[Bearbeitet am 2008-01-28 15:59]

[Bearbeitet am 2008-01-28 16:00]

Axel Trost
Axel Trost  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
That's it!!! Feb 11, 2008

Perfect solution! I initially left one segment blank (I inserted a space). German grammar forced me to do so. This led to the error.

I inserted *** instead and erased this in the final ppt and - it just worked fine!!!

Thanks a lot!

igosch
igosch
English to German
TagEditor message "Text has no translatable items" Apr 9, 2008

I just had the same problem, after having finished the translation of 27 ppt pages. I just don't know where to start to look for an empty segment. Isn't there a possibility to do a clean-up using a macro or something? The funny thing is that the TagEditor at first did not accept this ppt file but encountered some problem and closed. But suddenly it worked (unfortunately?).
Any ideas? Thank you!
Ingrid Gosch

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
thank's for your help Jun 13, 2008

I had the same problem today and I search in this forum for help and I found the solution !

Actually, for me the solution was to not put only spaces in the translating segment.

Thank you !

Elizabeth Archer
Elizabeth Archer  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
Spanish to English
This saved me. Aug 10, 2008

I have spent 5 days working on a large powerpoint translation. This saved me hours of work. I had left blanks in and just filled them with a term I could search and replace in the target document. Many many thanks!

Michael Fletcher
Michael Fletcher  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:50
Member (2003)
Japanese to English
Tageditor/power point conversion success Aug 29, 2012

I was also have a problem with my PowerPoint file. This thread pointed out the problem of leaving only spaces for a segment and I found 4 such segments in the document that I am translating. I changed these and it appears to be working. Thanks very much for the help.

rpanayotova
rpanayotova
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:50
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Solved! Jul 5, 2017

The "delete the interval" solution works flawlessly. Many thanks.

rpanayotova
rpanayotova
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:50
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
One more advice Aug 30, 2023

Run the translation anew. TagEditor will stop where you have left an empty textbox.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

tageditor/powerpoint conversion crisis - autoshape

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »