Thread poster: Salam Alrawi

Salam Alrawi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:59
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 24, 2007

Dear Colleagues,

This is the second time that it happens to me while I was translating a microsoft word document using TRADOS,

the original source has some specific format, like the size of writtin letters which they were 12 and some were 16 (bold), and as I translated them using TRADOS, the target document was in another format, some time the words were size (10) and sometimes they were others,

Any suggestions or advice, please?

Thank you very much,
Best regards,
Salam

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-11-24 12:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:59
Solutions Nov 24, 2007

Most probably, the problem is that the Word document has been formated manually. When you open and close segments, Word will reapply the formatting defined in the styles of the document.

To avoid this problem, you can translate the document in TagEditor instead of Word. But as you are already working on it, here's a workaround:

Keep translating and don't mind the formatting. When you're done, make a copy of the untranslated file and translate it using the automatic translate function from Workbench.

That usually does the trick, so good luck

Jørgen

Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Formatting changes Nov 24, 2007

Hi. This is a pet peeve of mine related to Trados. The numbering or font sometimes goes wild while you're working, distracting you. I agree with Jørgen: worrry about it after you're done translating. Sometimes the problems have fixed themselves after the cleanup.

Haiyang Ai  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:59
English to Chinese
+ ...
Formatting Nov 24, 2007

Not quite sure. But if you're dealing with tags and formatting, can you try to translate the document in Trados TagEditor?

Kind regards,
Haiyang

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Don't blame the software - blame the user Nov 24, 2007

For 90% our document has been reformatted manualy, so the local formatting and the style do not match.
Please use the search function here in this forum with the keywords "font change" "format change" "styles" and you will find many many answers. This is a very well known problem.
The solution to this problem is called Tageditor.

Jerzy

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Many options Nov 25, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
The solution to this problem is called Tageditor.
Jerzy

Or Wordfast, or just about any CAT tool other than Trados TW.

I love Workbench, but this is a design flaw, plain and simple.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Office format lost while translating with TRADOS

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search