https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/91207-trados_beginner_questions_getting_clean_files_from_xmlttx_languages_not_supported_by_trados.html

Trados - beginner questions: getting 'clean' files from .xml.ttx; languages not supported by TRADOS
Thread poster: Subhan Fakhrizada
Subhan Fakhrizada
Subhan Fakhrizada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:34
English to Pashto (Pushto)
+ ...
Dec 6, 2007

Hello colleagues..

I am starting to learn/use Trados. Although i have already worked and completed several project with SDLX Lite, where i was supplied .itd files, and it was easy to follow the instruction.

Anyway, I have purchased Trados Freelance version 7.1.

I know some of my question will be very basic, but all of starts from basic, and hopefully with your help i will be master of it soon... See more
Hello colleagues..

I am starting to learn/use Trados. Although i have already worked and completed several project with SDLX Lite, where i was supplied .itd files, and it was easy to follow the instruction.

Anyway, I have purchased Trados Freelance version 7.1.

I know some of my question will be very basic, but all of starts from basic, and hopefully with your help i will be master of it soon I know IT very well, and hope that will help too.

I have been supplied files with .xml.ttx extensions. As you can guess, the files has been extracted from TTX format (TagEditor files) and am requested the following tasks:

1. Clean Files: The final target language files after translation using Trados

2. Unclean/Bilingual Files: the Trados files contains both English and target language.

My questions are as follow:

1. In order to get the requested files, should i use Workbench OR TagEditor OR the Workbench template inside MS Word?

2. The target language is not in the list of supported Trados languages, but it is fully supported by MS Windows XP.

I would appreciate you quick, direct and detailed replies .

Thanks in advance

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-07 14:09]
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 11:34
English to Indonesian
+ ...
short answers Dec 6, 2007

1. in the tageditor
2. languages are set, up to 5 in the freelance version, during the installation. if it's not there, then you might have to reinstall it.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:34
English to Swedish
+ ...
Clarification Dec 6, 2007

Subhan Fakhrizada wrote:
2. The target language is not in the list of supported Trados languages, but it is fully supported by MS Windows XP.

Hi Subhan,

I think Mulyadi misunderstood your question.

If the target language is not supported by Trados, you might have trouble to have the characters displayed properly in TagEditor. I have no hands-on experience of Pashto, but it doesn't hurt to try - provided that you have the fonts for Pashto installed!
Just experiment: open a small file in TE, and try to enter a few words. Can you clean the file or not? Does it display afterwards?

AFAIK, Pashto is using the same script as Persian and Urdu, which both are supported languages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasta'liq_script
http://new.translationzone.com/en/products/sdltrados2007/languagessupported/

But I don't know if Pashto have some unique chars or diacritics that the other alphabets don't?

There is a quick'n-dirty workaround for the limitation of the freelance version: simply create a TM for another language pair, say English>Persian instead of English>Pashto.
OK, your segments will have the wrong language flag, but who cares, as long as it works?!

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-12-06 09:22]

[Edited at 2007-12-06 09:22]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:34
English to French
+ ...
TTX files Dec 6, 2007

I just wanted to add that if you get a file with the .ttx extension (TradosTag format), always translate it using Workbench + TagEditor. When you work with Trados, you always work in one of two editing environments: Workbench + TagEditor or Workbench + Word. In order to translate using Word, you have to use Workbench; this also goes for working in TagEditor. Workbench is the brain of the entire process and you can't do without it.

I also just wanted to add that no matter how
... See more
I just wanted to add that if you get a file with the .ttx extension (TradosTag format), always translate it using Workbench + TagEditor. When you work with Trados, you always work in one of two editing environments: Workbench + TagEditor or Workbench + Word. In order to translate using Word, you have to use Workbench; this also goes for working in TagEditor. Workbench is the brain of the entire process and you can't do without it.

I also just wanted to add that no matter how you fix the language issue (the above solution makes sense to me - it's what I would have done), make sure that you create translation memories based on the language codes in the translatable documents. For example, if you set English US as the source language and the client's file has the English UK language code, then you will run into problems with Workbench.

All the best!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados - beginner questions: getting 'clean' files from .xml.ttx; languages not supported by TRADOS

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »