Does Tag Editor really support Auto text?
Thread poster: Francis Kastalski
Francis Kastalski
Francis Kastalski  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 8, 2007

Dear colleagues

Good morning.

I would like to hear from you whether any of you have ever succeeded in using the Auto text capability when working with Tag Editor. The fact is, you find it in the program, but I have never been able to make it work. And it would be just perfect if it did, because the feature is so highly useful for me when working directly in Word application.

Any words on it? Thanks in advance and all the best,
Francis

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:38
English to Dutch
+ ...
the works Dec 8, 2007

Any words on it?

In TagEditor/Tools/AutoText... enter a word, say "programmatically". Click OK.
The next time you would be required to type this thing out, just type "p" and press Enter. There you are.
(If you add other items beginning in "p", say "pneumatic", press "pr" Enter for "programmatically" and "pn" Enter for "pneumatic".
And so on.)

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 13:38
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
AutoHotkey Dec 8, 2007

An even better tool is AutoHotkey (download for free).

The problem with Auto text is that you run into problems when words start with the same letter or letter sequence. In those cases, I find this tool rather hindrance than help.

AutoHotkey lets you define any key combination to trigger the word in question. E.g. you could define "cb" as "checkbox". AutoHotkey works with a script that allows you to do all kind of things with the push of a key combination such as open p
... See more

The problem with Auto text is that you run into problems when words start with the same letter or letter sequence. In those cases, I find this tool rather hindrance than help.

AutoHotkey lets you define any key combination to trigger the word in question. E.g. you could define "cb" as "checkbox". AutoHotkey works with a script that allows you to do all kind of things with the push of a key combination such as open programms, re-define key combinations etc. It comes with a help file with lots of examples, and the shortcut function for long or frequently repeated words is extremely easy to use.

Furthermore, AutoHotkey is program-independent, ie. you can use the same shortcut keys in all programs.
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:38
English to Dutch
+ ...
thanks for pointer, Heike Dec 9, 2007

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:

AutoHotkey lets you define any key combination to trigger the word in question. E.g. you could define "cb" as "checkbox". AutoHotkey works with a script that allows you to do all kind of things with the push of a key combination such as open programms, re-define key combinations etc. It comes with a help file with lots of examples, and the shortcut function for long or frequently repeated words is extremely easy to use.

Furthermore, AutoHotkey is program-independent, ie. you can use the same shortcut keys in all programs.

I'll look into it.
And pray I don't run into trouble.

Francis Kastalski
Francis Kastalski  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try AutoHotkey Dec 9, 2007

Thanks saitch and Heike for your comments.
Looking forward to try Autohotkey.

Cheers,
Francis

[Editada em 2007-12-09 12:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Tag Editor really support Auto text?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »