Client wants to convert pdf files into ttx files
Thread poster: Marta Riosalido

Marta Riosalido
Spain
Local time: 23:48
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 10, 2007

Hi

This is the second part of an inquiry I made on Dec 5th in this same sections.
Summarysing: The client wants to convert pdf files into ttx files (Danish-Spanish) I learned thanks to you, folks, that this is virtually impossible.
OK, so I delivered the .ttx from .doc files that I converted with a programme. He answered was that they needed the document in xml. So the next thing I get is an .xml file (in English) stating that the only thing I need to do is to open this xml file with my Trados Workbench and that Trados wil automatically translate the xml file (English source) into a Spanish document (TM Danish-Spanish)

I don't know if I expressed myself clearly enough, although I guess not.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

a mad, very mad translator


 

Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:48
English to Danish
+ ...
Am I missing something here? Dec 10, 2007

What is your problem or question?

icon_smile.gif Jørgen


 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Send them a copy of the Trados File Guide Dec 10, 2007

So they can have a look what kind of files are supported by Trados.
Regards
Heinrich


 

Marta Riosalido
Spain
Local time: 23:48
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem Dec 10, 2007

Does this make any sense?
I mean, I get x pdf files to convert into ttx format, then I get an xml in English to convert ttx files (translated froma Danish) in order to use my TM with this English xml file.

This is my problem

I tried to open this xml file but my TM is of no use. The tagging is different....


 

Marta Riosalido
Spain
Local time: 23:48
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Haha Dec 10, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

So they can have a look what kind of files are supported by Trados.
Regards
Heinrich


HAHAHAHAHA.

OK, I'll forward this to him

M


 

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:48
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Language pair Dec 10, 2007

Hi Marta,

If I understood you right, the problem is not the type of document (doc. or xml.) but the TM. It will not work because it´s Danish-Spanish, so it´ll only recognize Danish source text, even if the English text was translated from Danish.
In order to translate an English source text into Spanish you need an EN>ES TM.
I hope this helps
Regards,
Marina


 

Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:48
English to Danish
+ ...
Word or TagEditor? Dec 10, 2007

Marta Riosalido wrote:

I tried to open this xml file but my TM is of no use. The tagging is different....


Did you open the xml in word or in TagEditor?
TagEditor is the Trados program for translating xml files i.a.

icon_smile.gif Jørgen


 

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:48
English to Swedish
+ ...
You need a DTD Dec 10, 2007

Marta Riosalido wrote:

Does this make any sense?
I mean, I get x pdf files to convert into ttx format, then I get an xml in English to convert ttx files (translated froma Danish) in order to use my TM with this English xml file.

This is my problem

I tried to open this xml file but my TM is of no use. The tagging is different....


Hi Marta,

Sure, it makes sense. It's perfectly workable. Although, as you noticed, the TM is tainted by all internal tags, making this very troublesome. Make sure to charge the agency for the extra trouble they're putting you through.

But as I explained last time, Trados needs a DTD from the customer, in order to understand/parse the tags correctly. Only when you have the DTD, you can run the Tag Settings Wizard and create the .ini file that is required to get the tags right.

Again, search the forum for these terms: +Tageditor +xml +dtd

/Jan


 

Marta Riosalido
Spain
Local time: 23:48
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Dec 10, 2007

I received the pdfs stating that they needed to be translated with Tag Editor. Full stop. And from there, tragedy...

Marta


 

Marta Riosalido
Spain
Local time: 23:48
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi JAN SANSTRM Dec 10, 2007

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

Marta Riosalido wrote:

Does this make any sense?
I mean, I get x pdf files to convert into ttx format, then I get an xml in English to convert ttx files (translated froma Danish) in order to use my TM with this English xml file.

This is my problem

I tried to open this xml file but my TM is of no use. The tagging is different....


Hi Marta,

Sure, it makes sense. It's perfectly workable. Although, as you noticed, the TM is tainted by all internal tags, making this very troublesome. Make sure to charge the agency for the extra trouble they're putting you through.

But as I explained last time, Trados needs a DTD from the customer, in order to understand/parse the tags correctly. Only when you have the DTD, you can run the Tag Settings Wizard and create the .ini file that is required to get the tags right.

Again, search the forum for these terms: +Tageditor +xml +dtd

/Jan


ok, i'LL READ all the postings on this issue after I have delivered this job

Thanks,

Marta


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client wants to convert pdf files into ttx files

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search