trados and word macro
Thread poster: chow99
chow99
chow99
Local time: 06:15
French to English
Dec 13, 2007

Hi,

I just tried using Trados for the first time and now my original and translated (with and without TRADOS) word documents, which had contents pages with signets and lots of macros (that I don't understand) now do not display correctly.

In WORD, I get an error message saying that the macro is absent or my security level is blocking it.

I have even uninstalled TRADOS in my desperation to no avail.

Word 2000 / XP sp2

The error mess
... See more
Hi,

I just tried using Trados for the first time and now my original and translated (with and without TRADOS) word documents, which had contents pages with signets and lots of macros (that I don't understand) now do not display correctly.

In WORD, I get an error message saying that the macro is absent or my security level is blocking it.

I have even uninstalled TRADOS in my desperation to no avail.

Word 2000 / XP sp2

The error messages in the doc are subject merge format and all the contents page has disappeared

Any help as I'm in a bit of a panic here. My own fault for testing some software on a piece of work in progress.

Simon
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:15
English to French
+ ...
Macro settings Dec 14, 2007

The first thing to try is check your macro settings in Word. You should enable macros, as Trados uses them.

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling your TW4Win template. It should be in your Trados install directory - place it in your Word startup folder.

Try these steps, see if it is any help, and if not, post here again with what more you found out. If you need any help to figure out what the TW4Win template is, or anything else, again, please post. I'll be back in an
... See more
The first thing to try is check your macro settings in Word. You should enable macros, as Trados uses them.

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling your TW4Win template. It should be in your Trados install directory - place it in your Word startup folder.

Try these steps, see if it is any help, and if not, post here again with what more you found out. If you need any help to figure out what the TW4Win template is, or anything else, again, please post. I'll be back in an hour.

[Edited at 2007-12-14 00:49]
Collapse

chow99
chow99
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Word macros still not working correctly with TRADOS Dec 14, 2007

HI and thanks for your answer.

I removed Trados (2006 freelance) and reinstalled Word (2000). Put macro security at lowest level to no avail.

I have just reinstalled Trados and copied the template TRADOS7 (microsoft model) into a folder in Program files / office / startup which was empty.... Same problem.

In fact all the docs I received form this client had automatic tables of contents and various automatic insertions. None now display properly, but they do
... See more
HI and thanks for your answer.

I removed Trados (2006 freelance) and reinstalled Word (2000). Put macro security at lowest level to no avail.

I have just reinstalled Trados and copied the template TRADOS7 (microsoft model) into a folder in Program files / office / startup which was empty.... Same problem.

In fact all the docs I received form this client had automatic tables of contents and various automatic insertions. None now display properly, but they do on my Mac which just tested. So the installation of Trados has obviously added something to my PC which blocks these macros.

Interesting when I try to paste the error texts from my word doc into this forum post, the correct words, article/chapter title appear and not the code !!! If anyone can help ? Haver I damaged the actual files for my client of "just" my PC.

PS When I installed Trados, it also installed visual basic which I thought I already had. Vould this be a problem ?

Thanks
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
What exactly is not displaying properly? Dec 14, 2007

If it is only the table of contents that is causing you trouble, then I suspect that that is where the problem is.

Tables of contents should not be translated at all, because they contain fields that link to headers further down the document. When you translate these headers, and then update fields by right-clicking on the table of contents (you do this only once you are done translating and proofreading and otherwise the file is ready for delivery), the lines in the table of conten
... See more
If it is only the table of contents that is causing you trouble, then I suspect that that is where the problem is.

Tables of contents should not be translated at all, because they contain fields that link to headers further down the document. When you translate these headers, and then update fields by right-clicking on the table of contents (you do this only once you are done translating and proofreading and otherwise the file is ready for delivery), the lines in the table of contents are automatically updated with your translations.

I wouldn't worry too much if it is just the table of contents - I've translated documents in the past where the table of contents just couldn't live through the translation process, probably because of some weird formatting. The client never complained. After all, you were contracted for translation, not DTP. And a new table of contents can be built based on your translations of the headers.

I don't know about the VB installing - I haven't installed Trados in a while and I don't remember this...

Let us know if the problem affects other parts of the document as well. Maybe there is a simple solution. We need to know what exactly is wrong to find out.

Take care!
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Complicated DOC? Use TagEditor! Dec 14, 2007

chow99 wrote:

Simon

Hi Simon,

A good advice: if you receive a complicated Word DOC, like the one you mention: always use TagEditor rather than the Word interface + TWB.
In TagEditor, you don't run the risk of messing up your document, like you did in the Word UI.

/Jan

chow99
chow99
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for reassuring me Dec 14, 2007

Thanks for your advice.

To summarise the word doc was very complex but the problem mainly concerns the Table of Contents + dates and some other things which were automatically inserted by macro. On the files translated before Trados, everything worked fine with the contents being updated with a right click. Now there is no table of contents just weird code about textmerge and hyperlinks.

The good news is that I think the file will probably be OK on my clients PC as I c
... See more
Thanks for your advice.

To summarise the word doc was very complex but the problem mainly concerns the Table of Contents + dates and some other things which were automatically inserted by macro. On the files translated before Trados, everything worked fine with the contents being updated with a right click. Now there is no table of contents just weird code about textmerge and hyperlinks.

The good news is that I think the file will probably be OK on my clients PC as I can read the file with its Table of Contents on my MAC.

The word doc. was obviously too complicated as Jan said. I was worried that the file would be unusable for my client, but so far they haven't got back to me.

Thank you for your advice and reassurance. Not a very happy first use of Trados and definately not a timesaver. Time will tell but I'm not in a hurry to start it up again.

Simon
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
You actually should be in a hurry Dec 14, 2007

This was admittedly a tough experience for you, and like you said, it wasn't a very good idea to try Trados on actual work for the first time. However, you shouldn't be so quick in concluding that it's not a good idea to start it up anytime soon.

I am thinking that the problems you had this time were due to the fact that you were using a tool you are not very familiar with. Trust me, the problem you had with the table of contents is very common - in fact, I had similar problems when
... See more
This was admittedly a tough experience for you, and like you said, it wasn't a very good idea to try Trados on actual work for the first time. However, you shouldn't be so quick in concluding that it's not a good idea to start it up anytime soon.

I am thinking that the problems you had this time were due to the fact that you were using a tool you are not very familiar with. Trust me, the problem you had with the table of contents is very common - in fact, I had similar problems when I first started using Trados. Trados is not a tiny little program with a straightforward interface (many here complain that it is not very logical and not easy to learn). I am of the opinion that it is a handy tool, not perfect but excellent for the purpose. It is chock full of handy features most of us don't use because it takes a long time OR a lot of perseverence to learn these. Given the number of options and features, I guess the developers anticipated it would be very difficult to use and so they simplified the interface to make it less intimidating. In my opinion, they overdid it.

I think that it would be a valuable undertaking for you to take a document (I recomment trying it with a moderately complicated Word document and then with an HTML directory - just copy the source of a website) and translate it when you don't have much work. What I would do (and actually did) is to open the hefty PDF user guide that came with the software and start reading form the beginning, while you perform the functions explained in Trados. Don't do too much of it - the user guide is not very wordy, so a simple page can give you a big load of information for your brain to analyze and then put to practice. By the time you reach about a third of the user guide, you will be comfortable with your tool. Reading the user guide is also handy to get to know the architecture of the software, not just the way to use it. Had you done so, you would have known that you should not attemp to translate the table of contents.

If you want to be able to use Trados on your January assignments, I think it is high time you started learning to use it. You will see, the knowledge will come in really handy and you will be happy to have this tool to assist you.

All the best!
Collapse

galux (X)
galux (X)
Germany
German to Slovak
+ ...
Check Word settings Dec 14, 2007

chow99 wrote:

Interesting when I try to paste the error texts from my word doc into this forum post, the correct words, article/chapter title appear and not the code !!! If anyone can help ? Haver I damaged the actual files for my client of "just" my PC.

Hi Simon,

you may try to change this setting:

in Word, go to the "Tools" menu, and select "Options". On the "View" tab, uncheck the box named "Field Codes". Your text should now appear correctly.

Olga

chow99
chow99
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Will do Dec 14, 2007

Yes I will take the time to get to know Trados when I don't have so much work going on and to work through the user's manual. I was wrong in thinking it simple to use in just 5 minutes.

However I didn't use Trados on the Table of Contents or translate it manually, as I know not to do that. I only used Trados on some sections of my document with similar text. And yet I still lost stuff.

You're right I will practice on a sample text.

Thanks

Simon

chow99
chow99
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wonderful problem solved Dec 14, 2007

Hi Simon,

you may try to change this setting:

in Word, go to the "Tools" menu, and select "Options". On the "View" tab, uncheck the box named "Field Codes". Your text should now appear correctly.

Olga

Olga you are a star !!! Everything has reappeared in my document. I don't know exactly how that box got checked but that was the problem. I can now happily return to my 270 pages of SAP accounting.

MANY THANKS

Simon

galux (X)
galux (X)
Germany
German to Slovak
+ ...
:-) Dec 14, 2007

I'm glad I could help you, Simon

Cheers,

Olga

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I don't either, but... Dec 16, 2007

chow99 wrote:
I don't know exactly how that box got checked
on [/quote]

I don't know how it got checked either, but I do know that if you use Word as your editing environment when working with Trados, such things do happen, and I don't have any solution for this, except to observe such issues and learn from them so that you know what to look out for when weird things happen.

The most important thing in order to avoid such problems is to always translate with the Normal view, never with the Print view. This irons out many such accidents. If you are up for it, then you should learn to use TagEditor as editing environment for Word documents. This has many benefits and I will not go into detail here. Let it be said that TagEditor is much better at keeping the correct formatting and of course doesn't rely on macros and such, so the environment is much more stable. I use TagEditor for all my Word documents and I find I am much more relaxed because problems like the one you mention almost never happen.

Investigate the use of TagEditor, but also learn to work in Word (it's better to start with Word at first because that is an environment you are already familiar with - when you are confident enough, you can move on to TagEditor). As you get to know Trados and how it interacts with Word, you will be able to fix such issues on your own in seconds. All you need is a little patience.

All the best!

[Edited at 2007-12-16 01:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trados and word macro

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »