Iván Madrigal  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:21
English to Spanish
Dec 14, 2007

Hello guys,

Please try this:

- Open up Trados TWB, with any TM
- Open up a TradosTag file that matches the languages of the opened TM. Do some work with it (translate a couple of segments at random).
- NOW, without closing the above, open up any Word (.doc) file, leave it open for a few secs, modify it somehow, save it anywhere and then close it.
> Does your CPU heat up to 100%?
No matter what your specs are, I have tried it in my production laptop, Sony Vaio 1.8 Double core with 2G of RAM and in the desktop one; a PIV 4.2 with 4G of RAM.
Both Windows X Pro SP2, Office 2003 Pro and Trados SDL 2006 Freelance.

Annoying thing is that if I want to stop the CPU from being at top gear for no reason I have to restart the system, no way to kill it...

Any ideas? Anyone had the same problem?

Or is it just me stressing for nothing due to being too long in QA ?

As usual, any thought is welcome.

Cheers,
I

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
2 percent Dec 14, 2007

On my laptop I get 2 percent, maximum 18 percent. When opening WB it rose to 60.
And I have only 0,5 GB of RAM.

Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmm... Dec 14, 2007

Thanks Heinrich,

I might have to reinstall everything, there might be something wrong there. The weird thing is that it happens on both kits...

Thanks for the feedback, in any case.

Cheers,
I

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:21
English to Dutch
+ ...
Could be Word causing trouble Dec 14, 2007

Hi Iván

I couldn't recreate that issue either, but I remember situations in the past, where an instance of Word gets stuck in the background.

Actually, while I'm writing it is happening again. If you open the Task Manager and look into the active processes you'll probably see WINWORD.EXE using up 99% of the CPU capacity. If you kill it, the problem immediately stops.

I don't know why Winword has to run when TagEditor is active, maybe the spellchecker plugin. Have you tried switching to the other spellchecker to see if it does the same thing?

Greetz, Marinus

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Word has to run in background when TE is open Dec 14, 2007

because of spell checking.
And what you are doing with opening another Word process is killing the spell checking ability of Tageditor. After you close the Word instance you started usually TE stops spell checking (without any errror message). When you check processes, a Word process will still be in backgruond. If you now close Tageditor, the Word instance will remain as orphane process in the background.
But my CPU load is never 100% - maybe because it is a dual core system?

Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
It is indeed Word Dec 14, 2007

Thanks Marinus, Jerzy,

It is indeed related to Word, and my deduction was that also; the spellchecker or some Word plug in is being used by TagEditor. But even killing the process from the Task Manager, the CPU was still overheating...

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
I

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why using spellchecker in TE Dec 14, 2007

I find spellchecker useless in TE. So I never use it but do the spellcheck in Word after translation.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Because spell-checking in TE saves me a lot of time Dec 14, 2007

I dn't have much advantage if finding errors in Word afterwards - I would have to locate them in TE, correct them and then also in whatever way correcty my TM. This doubles the efforts at least.

As for the CPU load 100% - Iván, you wrote:
...the CPU was still overheating...

So what do you mean? CPU load of 100%? Or real overheating?
If CPU load - please go to Task Manager, click the process tab, then click the heading of the column "CPU Load", so that your processes will be sorted by the CPU load caused. This way you can see which process is keeping your CPU breathless.
When CPU is overheating, check your CPU cooler - maybe the ventilator has quited its job or is simply dusty...

J.

Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I meant CPU at 100% Dec 14, 2007

Yes, Jerzy, sorry I wasn't very clear earlier, I meant my CPU is at 100% (and consequently making the ventilation system stress out

The issue seems to have beed clarified, it's "defo" the Word spellchecker in TradosTag, the problem does not reproduce if I use the other spellchecker.

The thing is that both spellcheckers are not very reliable when used in TT, and it would be VERY convenient to have a decent spellchecker as plugin for TradosTag.
As you pointed out, exporting the file in Word to check it, asolate the error in the TradosTag file and correct it is a very tedious and not very practical process.

Any ideas? Any good spellchecker that could be added to TradosTag?

Thanks everyone for all your help and interest!

I

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is strange... Dec 14, 2007

as I use the spell-checker in TE always when I work with it and do not have such heavy CPU loads at all. Just when converting huge files or so, the CPU load in my system goes up to 60% or so, but that's basically all. The HDD load seems to be more critical in my case.

Coming back to the spell checker itself -I must admit, that I find Polish spell checking for Word 2003 very good, both used in Word and in TE. It is much better than the German one. AFAIK the only spell checker you can use in TE are Word or WinterTree.

J.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Out of curiosity, try this> CPU @ 100%

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search