https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/92009-trados_tageditor%3A_do_i_have_to_leave_the_tags.html

Trados TagEditor: do I have to leave the tags?
Thread poster: Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 15, 2007

Hi everyone,

I am trying to learn how to use Trados, I am practising on my own and, despite all the manuals that come with the program itself, a few doubts still arise every so often.

I was wondering, do I have to add the tags in the target text? Every time I validate a translation a dialoge box appears saying that there are a few tags missing, and if I want to continue anyway.

Thanks for your help!!!
Paula

Cristina Cajoto
Cristina Cajoto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Dec 15, 2007

Hi Paula,

Not that I am an expert in Trados but from what I know all the tags have to be identical in both texts, otherwise the target text would look different from the original, as the tags contain information about formats, pictures...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Cristina.

Ade Indarta
Ade Indarta  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 07:13
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
Copy the source text Dec 15, 2007

Hi Paula,

In order to avoid missing any tag, usually I copy the text source, along with the tags, and then translate the source word into the target word without touching the tag.

Regards,

Ade

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Move unnecessary tags to the end of the segment Dec 15, 2007

If you do not need a tag, move it behind the text, so it won't spoil anything and TE is satisfied.
And ask your customers to remove line-breaks from the text in dtp-files, they are a nuisance when translating.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
FYI: This topic has been moved to SDL Trados Support forum Dec 15, 2007

Please use this dedicated forum for all questions regarding SDL Trados.

Best regards
Jerzy

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Dec 15, 2007

Thank you very much, everyone.

All your answers were VERY helpful and, after trying, Trados doesn't look so scary anymore!

Cristina! It's nice hearing from you!!

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Tags are there on purpose... but their order may change in target text Dec 15, 2007

If you work in TagEditor on an HTML document, for instance, little pictograms replace some HTML directives which may appear inside the sentence (for instance, text in bold, hyperlinks, etc.). Your translated HTML text should include the corresponding directives: therefore, you should take care of cutting and pasting the pictograms from the source in the appropriate place in your target text... Doing this manually would be tedious. So the best way, as indicated earlier, is to copy the source into... See more
If you work in TagEditor on an HTML document, for instance, little pictograms replace some HTML directives which may appear inside the sentence (for instance, text in bold, hyperlinks, etc.). Your translated HTML text should include the corresponding directives: therefore, you should take care of cutting and pasting the pictograms from the source in the appropriate place in your target text... Doing this manually would be tedious. So the best way, as indicated earlier, is to copy the source into the target segment, and translate in between the tags... Only problem : when, due to different syntax, the target words are in different order... Then you may have to move tags manually (click on the little lock in the toolbar to unlock tag protection, and relock afterwards to avoid errors)Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Depending on the tag Dec 18, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

If you do not need a tag, move it behind the text, so it won't spoil anything and TE is satisfied.

You have to be careful - some tags become visible in final document, for some tags you have to keep their order. It depends on the file format and tag type.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados TagEditor: do I have to leave the tags?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »